How do you feel about your job?

I only enjoyed it when it was illegal. F-ck big business. I guess I'm just a outlaw at heart.

Lol. Jim nailed it a bit too. I'm very into biking. Which takes razor focus.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Squish got into Pilates and green drink.

Also a 140 mph motorbike..................

:lol: you mean 225 kph, sounds way cooler then being a druggie!

frig getting killed because some junky wants his “freedom” not to test clean.

Chances are you've worked alongside a functional junkie or 2 by now, especially in your locale. As others have pointed out, one could smoke a bunch of crack or shoot up heroin for days and test clean a few days after while someone could smoke a joint on vacation and test positive a month or more later...

Lol. I'm not buying plywood I'm making it. I'd gladly work at a pot factory too if they paid the same.

Maybe if plywood was illegal I'd have been a carpenter?:scratch:

You did only quote half my post about 'frig big business'. If you'd quoted the whole thing it'd be more obvious that it was a joke.

I only enjoyed it when it was illegal. F-ck big business. I guess I'm just a outlaw at heart.

Lol. Jim nailed it a bit too. I'm very into biking. Which takes razor focus.

So if it isn't obvious. It was a joke. I quit smoking pot for many reasons but the gist of it would be I'd had my fill.

To answer the post title,
What I truly enjoy about my job is meeting all these fascinating people. Yesterday it was a chemist who tests for all kinds of product safety stuff, water, etc etc. great conversation.

Cool, I meet some interesting folks from time to time. Mostly though I don't get too personal with the clientele, just get in and get out with as little brain damage as possible. I did talk with this work from home guy the other day, he works for a big cyber security firm, he said there's really actually no such thing as cyber security.... okay. :thumbup:

I’m like a hairdresser or taxi driver, if they want to chat, I’ll chat.

If it’s strictly business I’m fine with that as well.

I'm about the same, sometimes brush off the chat if it's convenient, sometimes get cornered. Don't get me wrong, I can bs with just about anyone but usually when on the job I'd rather just on with it.

I find it really odd, the amount of personal info people share without solicitation. That's part of the brain damage for me. People always seem to want to talk about their medical conditions or their spouses recent operation, I really can't stomach that kind of talk well.

Let me analyze this complex situation, and estimate like my livelihood depends on it... Yes, do go on about a tree that hasn't been there in 15 years, and how the trees were smaller 30 years agos, and will it stop growing if you top it.

I find an inherent honestly with my trade; I meet a customer, we agree on the job, I complete it, they pay me.
Short, and rewarding to both of us.
The trades are often undervalued in the general population. Seems like the fire men or police get all the glory. Not the cobbler, tailer, grocery, tree man, etc.
oh well. I still get satisfaction from a job well done. Works for me

Good point, it's a pretty honest way to make a buck, nice simple cut and dry transaction. Though I do find it difficult to frequently find the perfect balance, where both parties feel it's an even and fair trade of cash for services, doesn't happen every time.

As Graeme McMahon once said re a price on a certain job, 'I received a little less than I wanted and the customer paid a little more than they wanted'. That is often the case, it seems.

I had to think of this thread yesterday when I was riding bicycle around 6.30am yesterday in a very large seaside city Park adjacent to my town (I'd more or less never been there in 61 years) , there was a fair amount of garbage here and there and there were various workers dealing with it, one had a vacuum motorized golf cart to pick up a lot of hot spots fast, another guy was emptying recyclables and trash into his kubota style miniature dump truck and driving it to the main garbage processing area, I had picked up a couple cans and bottles and trash just to chip in a bit and I met the guy 1/2 way who was en route to dump his cans, we chatted briefly, I said the park is pretty awesome, how long you been working here, he says its my third season, he agrees its a cool spot, then declares , "I like my job"

I try to give a toot and thumbs up to people doing that kinda thing. Show them their work is appreciated.

A little comment while passing, "Looking good!" can go a long way.

Compliments and gratitude are free.

I had a job working at a college picking up trash at sports events. It was very humbling to have people throw trash at me, but it was also a really low key fun job. My favorite was the track and field events. Being around some of the best athletes at the top of their game doing their thing was awesome.

Back