How do you feel about your job?

I always said they don't pay us what they do because they like us :lol: Those dues are nothing but a drop in the bucket compared to the advantages. Yeah the steelworkers diversified back in the day when steel production started dropping, they cover most plant operators anymore from what I've seen.

I enjoy my job, it does get tedious and monotonous from time to time, but the work is rewarding. I don't enjoy the travel, i basically am on the road all the time when I'm working pipeline, and lately even building trades now because of a slow local heavy construction economy. I enjoy pipeline work way more than building trades, and not just because of the money. Even though the wages are higher, they seem to not step on a dollar to pick up a dime so to speak, overtime is expected and if you are being productive you usually can just keep on working. They seem to get the tools you need without as much hassle, and the work itself is pretty cool without as much headaches. The ability to use my own welding rig and tools is awesome, because i have exactly what i like to use on the truck, and if i don't it's my own fault. I also enjoy the time off so i can be with the family 24/7, rather then an hour or so at night. I just wish i started this kind of work earlier, but looking back i probably wasn't ready maturity or skills wise.

Doing the work I've done in my life, including all the horrible miserable stuff, is what made me what i am today, and because of that fact i wouldn't really change a thing. People often look back and say they wish they could have changed things, but they forget that they did those things for a reason in the first place, and those things made them what they are today. Just as storms and wind make a tree strong, our troubles in life and crappy jobs make us who we are.

I like my job.
Why else would I be doing it.

For the wast amount of money?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Doing the work I've done in my life, including all the horrible miserable stuff, is what made me what i am today, and because of that fact i wouldn't really change a thing. People often look back and say they wish they could have changed things, but they forget that they did those things for a reason in the first place, and those things made them what they are today. Just as storms and wind make a tree strong, our troubles in life and crappy jobs make us who we are.[/QUOTE]

Absofuckinlutely, still, no harm in whatiffin’

I still love what I do most times. Some days just suck. That’s a given. This morning I had a blast destroying 4 declining spruce that I topped out around 60’ sending 30’ of top. A nice gentle wobble to the stem. Smoking hot chick working at the jewelry store across the street just dripping from watching. Really it’s easy daily stuff. Afternoon was a worthless sludge sucking time. Large pin oak to prune with no drop zone and pouring rain. I get paid well enough to do my job but not enough to risk things or be completely miserable. I’ve been home since 2 and have wore a tiara for a few hours playing princess.

I love it when the he-men tree-men tell us about playing princess with their daughters :) Love it.

Everyone does in our plant. My union dues are $90/month cdn. Just a cost of being employed. ime so far the benefits outweigh the cost. But I'm sure like anything. There are people making bank off being 'employed' by the union for this that and the other.

I very much enjoy the union umbrella of protection and benefits though. I don't mean protection at work from management or anything like that as I kick ass all day everyday. It does help keep them on the straight and arrow for safety around the plant, although I believe that the company is truly committed to that anyways as it's in everyone's best interest. Financially and otherwise. But I mean more like if I get out of bed and tweak my back tomorrow I would instantly start getting paid while being laid up. Things like that. Massage, chiro, dental, medical, life insurance etc, etc.

$20 every month plus working dues which for a 40 hour week I paid $85.92. All the benefits Justin gets plus we have a slush fund which we can draw from.

The regular benefits don't cover acupuncture but you can suck it out of the slush fund. 80% for prescription but send in your receipts and get the other 20% out of the slush fund. X amount of dollars for glasses or braces, take the rest out of the slush fund. Damn near a dollar an hour raise every year.

Our officers make a tad bit more than a foreman working 40 hours a week, but they work far more than 40 usually. So basically i make more than them if I'm working pipeline or another overtime heavy job. In return i got free training to do the trade in the first place, free continuing education training, 2 pensions, a retirement annuity, healthcare, a death benefit for my burial, they find all the work for me so no resume and hunting for a job, they bargain for our raises and working conditions, they handle problems with contractors breaking the contract and other problems, they actively go out and talk to owners of facilities who need pipe work done to help them get the skilled hardworking workforce they need, and a bunch of other stuff that I'm not thinking of at the moment lol. I think it's a very fair trade.

Seems all unions/benefit packages are slightly different but overall similar. We don't have a 'slush fund'. But 80% coverage of the first $1000 use of benefits and then 100% coverage after that. Meaning we pay $200/year deductible and that's it. we have some limits on massage, chiro, acupuncture and that sort of stuff but with a doctors note it becomes limitless visits. Things like eyewear are $400 per person every two years. Blah blah blah. It all works out pretty good it seems. And a pension too of course. And annual raises. I'm quite enjoying working for 'the man'. But of course we're union workers. Throw us all together in a lunchroom and we can gripe shit up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sheeeit, sounds like I need to join a union... uhhh, but.... do they drug test?? :/:

“I think it's a very fair trade.”

Yup... Skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled.

Drug test, sometimes a background check for clearance, sometimes a NDA...

And......

Ya won’t see many of these...
20726872-E0F9-4563-A2D9-6DD58A373094.jpeg

:D

That hard hat is funny...

I told a guy on site today that EHS wanted to see his long hair in a man bun for safety...

He showed me his PPE Scrunchies on his wrist...

I was like ok.

Back