kinda slow around here

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
So check out the new vid...

Couple nice cuts for you all to "critique"...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yv-C7rYYYvg?controls=0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like an unnecessarily dangerous move.

Why?

Tip-tie, hinge on the limb, lift up, not drop down toward the boom. No drama. Boring tree work!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I thought the cut at 3:46 would be of particular interest at the house... I've never seen anything like it published before, but I do remember Rocky saying that he liked to use a cut similar to the coos bay but he made it all with one uninterrupted motion. Wondering if this is what he's talking about.

https://youtu.be/Yv-C7rYYYvg?t=226

It did what it was supposed to do. Well done Daniel. Most likely I’d of dealt with it a bit different but it worked.

Yeah Daniel... thanks for putting that up. Some good rigging. I've gotta ask... why were you cutting with such a very dull chain? (No judgements... I did it myself, for like two days.) Today I sharpened. When I resumed cutting, I was like, "WHY, WHY, WHY, Why, why, why, do I do that???" The dumbest, silliest thing.

So, why WAS yer saw so dull, if you don't mind my asking. Dude, that thing was dull.

Dude... In Eastern white pine????? That should have cut like butter.

I’m fine with the tip tying but why are you taking so long to make a face cut on such a small piece?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
if you're talking about the first cut, it's pretty obvious.. because I suck at cutting humboldts!

On the other hand.... it was a 40-second notch cut, and only 10 seconds on the back cut, less than a minute to drop that 30' top through a tight hole... I'll trade a few seconds of fooling around on an important cut for the time saved in taking a big top.

If you're talking about the second notch (30 seconds), it's because I changed my mind mid-cut. I was going to use a snap cut or a modified coos bay, which means no notch, so the but would just slide off the cut and drop, then thought it might be better to allow the top to move out and away from me just a little before the whole thing dropped, so I put a narrow notch in. Which turned out to be an interesting cut... No need for directional control, so really didn't need the hinge to control movement. Starting with a down angled sidecut, then rolling that around for an undercut... little hard to explain in writing...

Do you cut from the bucket much? It's a little awkward reaching over the boom side, which doesn't show on the video. I try to avoid that reach through optimal placement.

One of the things I like about video is that it provides a perfect record of time taken on any action, which helps in increasing efficiency and eliminating wasted effort.

Back