How Do I Find A Good Bucket Truck???

A wheelbarrow full of cash should get you a new one right? I think that's the way to go if the money's there

I'd aim for a thoroughly inspected one with far less than 75,000 miles/PTO hours. Shortly after aquiring one with around 75k most of the drive line went out, $2000 of repairs, probably due to someone who was inexperienced with a manual. Also had the bucket leveling chain break at around 96k on an older truck

Who wants a bucket truck, get a spider lift or flying carpet. The carpet wants to get caught in the saw sometimes, and no-fall arrest harness...not all they're cracked up to be.

Why prompts the question?

Oh, I see what happened.

Look for a private party sale...all I hear from bucket-truck owners.

One guy locally has a spider-lift. 83' working-height, and fits through a 36" gate.

One guy locally has a spider-lift. 83' working-height, and fits through a 36" gate.

The few guys around here that own these are killing jobs and very rarely climbing at all. Big leg up on the competition now that alot of dead ash are becoming unsafe to climb, and obviously fits where a bucket truck won't along with ~25+' more reach than the average forestry bucket.

Gotta have a dump bed too, so much more efficient.

Check closely for rust that has been painted over, I've seen that on one. I thought, "did boss really get a new truck? There's no way as expensive as they are." Then I saw the dump gate handle had a rough texture from severe underlying rust, it was even bent out of shape, but covered in nice bright white paint. That was the one with the bad drive line.

When you say wheel barrow, I'm thinking 8 cube two wheeler, it's what I've always used.

290-6147Wheelbarrow.jpg

Someone who buys new ever couple years.

Altec has a huge contract with FPL and I imagine other power companies. Those trucks are well taken care of and they do trade them every couple of years. FPL spares nothing on the maintenance, they keep those trucks in top notch shape. Altec sells the used and would know of any issues. As a matter of fact, Altec won't put an unsafe truck on the road.

Oh, I see what happened.

Look for a private party sale...all I hear from bucket-truck owners.

How much does it cost? I found a similar model, but possibly a little smaller new for $139,000, nearing twice the cost of a truck, and you don't even get a chip box.

I'm thinking they aren't worth the trouble of setting up and with the possibility of breakdowns and hilly terrain.

Back