zig zag

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
All these rave reviews for a RR, guess that'll be next for me.

So btw, has basically everyone gone mechanical or are there still some friction cord folks out there?

... if a guy is not climbing in the rain, like we do here about 75% of the time...

Pure exaggeration and skewing of statistics.

Western WA climbing/ working weather breakdown.
1% 'snow flurries' or 'snow'
1% 'sleet'
5% 'downpour'...finish the job.
5% heavy rain...the last 5% before the aforementioned downpour.
20% 'rain', TOPS!!
20% 'rainbow weather', raining on you when you see the sun in the distance and turn your back to it.
10% 'drizzle'.
18% 'cloudy'
10% 'partly cloudy/ partly sunny'
5% 'maritime layer morning fog, burns off to sun'
3% ' It's hot!'
2% 'other'

U.K. Rich!!!! Speak da TROOF!!! Really good to read ya Mate.

Kyle: You definitely beat me to the chicanery joke. Jake Rogers at Eastside bought one of those, and he absolutely hates that piece of...

Sean: LOL times 1000. Yeah... I did exxadddurate. I'm going to have to refer back to your list, man, that was hilarious, AND true.

Cory: In my little, inbred neck o the woods, if by "friction chord," you mean bee-line prussic/hitchclimber DMM type stuff, then, no, definitely not; HOWEVER!... and this may suprise you... there ARE two straight up, closed system, non-split tail, Blake Hitch guys who can get it done with the best of them. 1) Chris Maragulia (The Philidelphian transplant to Whidby Island, I told you about, and, 2) Noel. Some friend of Jake's who used to work at Eastside, and is a fast, young competition level climber.

I'm a total weirdo. I never depart from the RR except for brief, aesthetic/nostalgic excursions, when I climb on a straight-up Taught Line. I find that the time expenditure to do so is hardly appreciable in the long run. It is a bit slower, but who really cares. If that 12 minutes on a big tree is going to break the bank, then yer bookin yerself too tight, and she's underbid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good stuff, Jed. Great to have your insight and perspective back here at da House.

I can see using a well-dialed in taut line, but closed system? I'd have to see that to see it being safe as well as productive. Maybe those guys are tooken it to another level:/:

Sean, I like the list! Uh, there was no category for "Sun?"

10% 'partly cloudy/ partly sunny'
5% 'maritime layer morning fog, burns off to sun'
3% ' It's hot!'
2% 'other'

Some combo of these.

I'm from Chicago. My first day as a bike messenger, in my 20's was spent racing around polluted-downtown Chicago, in 107 degree peak heat, and 500 people died that day. Once, in the winter as a young kid, it was -80*F wind-chill factor. During a cold snap this winter, my mom's house hovered at 52 degrees, with the newer furnace running non-stop. I've cut stumps at 104*F in Death Valley, with chaps, double-knee carharts, and no shade. Didn't get hypothermia for 3 weeks in the Colorado mountains, with inadequate gear, in October, 10,000' plus.

At least partially, that's why I've been called a cyborg. I'd think more Energizer Bunny. Just keep going, and going, and going. I mean, cyborgs don't drink coffee or eat like having a tapeworm, I don't think.

"Coasties" start to melt when the sun comes out and think "its hot". Below, 30 degrees, "it's so cold". Ya, try climbing a dead tree on the top of the eastside hill, at 17* and breezy, and tell me it cold on the ground.

Obviously, there are hard-core people in the PNW, like Justin and his logging crew on the coast, real-deal hand-falling all winter.

I was a logger(I was a rigger/climber too, a super logger lol :D), not a faller. Basically scum of the forest, instead of the cream of the crop. :lol:

Fallers don't work when it's to windy or snotty out. Loggers do.

Now I'm soft as f-ck in the plywood factory. I lol at the whining and snivelling that goes on there. It's to cold, it's to hot. Give your head a shake waterasses.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oPih0AUdD1c" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Basically I kick ass all day everyday. I'm in decent shape. Push ups, sit ups and street and dirt biking. About 190, 180 would be fighting weight for me.

Lol.

I just stay active.

Fun!??? Gotta make for a tough pushup...cool idea.

Dragondoor has been a good place for fitness ideas and "stuff".

Back