zig zag

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree, MRS is a more succinct term re what is happening

lol

Gary! Rich! Deva! Stephen! Sean! Mick! Pete! Man, where you guys been all this time?! lol. So good to read you guys. Sorry bout the walkabout Butch. More like AWOL, I guess. Man, I'm a dummy. I love you guys. Thank you so much Corey. Man, I can't believe that I was just on the other thread where both Burnham and Beranek and Butch were all talking on the same page. Stig's not on walkabout is he? I thought better of him. :lol:

I'm a rope-runner guy. Bingham is one of the finest geniuses of our time. My hat's off to him. Seems to be a fuzz better than Jaime's Akimbo due to the self-tending thing, and I may be out of line here. My friend DJ has one. I know that the thing is highly adjustable, but he's having the deuce of a time trying to get it to self-tail at all let alone as well as the Runner tends to do it right out of the box.

Am I also ignorant in thinking that the Runner is more sustainable? I hope that by now eveyone on here is well aware that the Runner also does dDrt (Oh no... I'm showing my age!!:O) every bit as well as every other mechanical. If not better, but I'm pretty partial. I did use Jake's zig-zag on a score of climbs and it works just great, but wouldn't everyone prefer a device that does both rather perfectly?

Everyone at Eastside have all but thrown their Unicenders in the trash, poor thing.

Great to read ya, Jed!

What do you mean RR is more sustainable?

Good info on the RR.

Stig is still here in a big way, I think he is literally on a short walkabout somewhere for a bit

RR is more sustainable because all the parts can be replaced.

Good to read you Jed. Hope all is well brother.

I’m camping and have both the RR and the ZZ with me. If it would stop raining long enough to play I’d do a head to head on DRT,DDRT,or MRS; whatever the hell its called now

RR is more sustainable because all the parts can be replaced.

Oh ok, gotcha.

Which brings to mind a question- how much wear can a zig zag take? Does it wear like, well, iron and take many years of climbing before it would show wear that would be an issue?

JED!!!

Great to read ya again.

The RR is pretty bullet proof out of the box...

I saw a pic of you on yer company's Instagram page....

Jed...you devolved to a lurker????

Share your shat, buddy!!! We have had people trying to imitate your hinges....and doing a good job at times.:D

Cory I’m not really sure on the wear time yet. I’ve met guys that replace them yearly and mine still looks almost new. Just like every piece of gear it will be user dependent. Honestly my runner that I’ve only had for a short time is showing more wear than the zig-zag. Then again I got into a lot of large removals with tiny drop zones that I was doing the Ironman landing multiple times a day
https://youtu.be/yocBQlw_mCA

Oh ok, gotcha.

Which brings to mind a question- how much wear can a zig zag take? Does it wear like, well, iron and take many years of climbing before it would show wear that would be an issue?

Man, Corey, that's a super good question. Jake Rogers has the only zz at Eastside, and the problem with ascertaing wear would be getting him to stick with it long enough to see what happens. He always uses the Runner. We all do really, even if DJ hasn't fully given up on his Akimbo just yet. (I gotta say that the thing is wicked cool lookin man... super trick lookin. Small. I loved the feel of the thing, but I haven't used it myself yet.) I'm just taking DJ at his word that it doesn't self-tail at all, which the Runner does rather beautifully, ONCE IT'S WORN IN. Which brings me back to the sustainability thing... as Deva already stated, the runner is super cheap to keep runnin. Wespur has all the new grommet and slick-pin stuff for, like 12 bucks a piece. Not so the Akimbo. (But that's just my limited understanding) Does Jaime Merrit (the Akimbo Guy) still come on here at all?

My guess would be that if a guy is not climbing in the rain, like we do here about 75% of the time, that the zz would last a really good, long time before it started slipping enough to have to throw it in the trash.... and even then, if a guy wanted, he could just increase the diameter of his rope a fuzz and get a ton more use out of it.

Gary/Butch: Yeah... Corey slapped some sense back into me. However dumb it sounds, I feel a real kinship with you guys, and I was super wrong to just bail. Please forgive me.

welllll-doggies-granny-i-really-love-this-post.jpg

Glad you are back Jed!
I dunno why your guy is having trouble with the Akimbo self tending, the loaner I had from Stig self tended beautifully right from the start. I'm using 11.5 Tachyon. The only issue I had with it before I had to send it back to him was getting it dialed in to find the sweet spot for descending, but then watching some youtube videos, especially the one posted by Jaime really showed how best to be operating it going up and down.
if you have one its worth the time searching on youtube to watch Akimbo videos.

Alright Jed.

Fi, Jed’s mate is climbing in a wet environment. IME the Akimbo doesnt like wet, dirt, sap or anything other than dry tree and dry new rope. Could be why he is experiencing problems?

As for the ZZ... I have used one quite a bit. Would I have one personally? Definitely not!

I am still pissed at Pretzl for bringing not one, but two untested models to market... then The blatant rip-off of the RW with the chicane. They work but I will be holding my childish little boycott from here on in.

Regarding the other devices, I have a RW, BDB, Akimbo and two RR’s. I pick up the RR 90% of the time.

Why? Because it just works flawlessly and I like climbing on it.

I use the BDB for scabby take downs. Mainly due to the fact I dont like to get nice rope all sappy so I use an older Tachyon. The BDB is a bit old now but still runs perfectly on the older ropes.

Did I mention I don’t like the ZZ? LOL ��

My Akimbo tends like a dream!

I try to set the bollards as loose as possible while still eliminating creep or slip. Too tight could almost surely affect the tending.

I am still pissed at Pretzl for bringing not one, but two untested models to market... then The blatant rip-off of the RW with the chicane. They work but I will be holding my childish little boycott from here

Ditto this!!!

It pisses me off. Yes petzl makes fine gear, but I'll try to always spend my money elsewhere.
If it happened the other way around, and Petzl brought the shitcan to market first, then KB brought the RW out, he'd have a cease and desist order backed by an army of lawyers.

I didn't know they had a rope wrench copy, at least they named it right...

chi·can·er·y

/SHəˈkān(ə)rē/

noun

the use of trickery to achieve a political, financial, or legal purpose.

Back