zig zag

I will be curious to know your thoughts on the Akimbo, Jed. I was using my GoFundMe version today on a large willow reduction. It works great for me but I'm not sure I would like the changes RE made to the tending shackle. When I'm clip into it, I can lean back and it will support my weight. It makes things more stable. With the RE version they changed the tending point to a quick release spring clip and you can no longer do that, it will just unclip from the shoulder harness.

My only complaint about my Akimbo is that tending point. Pops off so easily. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.
I'm thinking about putting a keyring on the moving part of the tending point.

Push ups.... Diamonds, tight all the way to wide.... Knuckles, wrists, fingertips.... forehead.

The main cool thing about the akimbo is the easy on off midline... as far as a function... I think it's after the RR.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wrist pushups are a tad insane, imo

Too easy!:P

Push ups.... Diamonds, tight all the way to wide.... Knuckles, wrists, fingertips.... forehead.

The main cool thing about the akimbo is the easy on off midline... as far as a function... I think it's after the RR.

Gotta second this Deva after having rode the Akimbo for the first time today. I gotta say it accelerates on decent smoother than the RR, but it's like, "who really cares?" going down is the easy part. The runner seems to excel because of how well it feeds slack going up. Plus sap doesn't seem to mess with it anywhere NEAR to the way that it seems to mess with the AK. Still... for me at least... the jury's still out on the Akimbo. I (if I had a shred of self respect) shouldn't say anything about the AK at all untill ALL of the tiny little adjustment options have been comprehensively worked through. Btw is Porkbrick (Jaime Merritt) still on here at all, or did he go on walkabout like some other jackass I know? I'd have a question or two to put to him. :/:

He checks in now and again.

... I gotta say it accelerates on decent smoother than the RR, but it's like, "who really cares?" going down is the easy part...

Well, I certainly do!

Being able to descend smoothly, with one hand, on a non-moving rope, is number one on the list of what a good multisender must be able to accomplish. Conversely, going up it is doing nothing and just needs to stay out of your way and grab quickly when needed.

A good tool is the sum of its attributes combined, and in that regard, I rate the Akimbo very high. I just feel it was a mistake to take away its ability to support you when leaning back when it is on a chest harness.

I might be that odd man out in that I like the attachment point on the final version. I never have it unclip unexpectedly and it's pretty nice just to smack it out of the way when you want it off. I use a neck tether though so a chest harness is probably not going to pull up and into the hook as well.

The stuff Ballerina's do is insane... those poor toes.

For the akimbo though.... I love Jaimie... it's not a popularity contest just a preference in product....

I love how ez the akimbo is on off.... and it's very smooth...but I'm leery of sap and rain with it....

The majority I do now is small trees.... so the runner just goes up and down on like a 30' piece of rope...

My old school pushups are: palms flat with fingers/thumbs spread at a comfortable angle, about shoulder width apart. Chest to floor, back up to straight arm position. Nothing fancy. 50 of those I can do, no promises for any of those more advanced versions :).

Well the reason they changed the tether attachment of the Akimbo was because when some folks did lean back on it with the original models, it was disengaging and going into 'descent mode'.
So in order to keep it 'safe' they made the clip so it would pull out if you leaned back too hard.
A chest ascender it is not.
I loved how easy it was to put on and how smoothly is rode up the line, I just didn't get it dialed in exactly enough for descent and limbwalking...my loaner has gone back to Denmark, apparently some loggers are going to be climbing big trees somewhere :lol:

Yep, all 7 of us that were going to California this year, but had to postpone it because of my Chemo treatments, are meeting up tomorrow for a day of fun in the treetops.
I won't be doing much climbing myself, but will introduce a couple of younger folks to the Akimbo and different ways of ascending on a stationary, single rope.
We usually have a real good time together, so I'm looking forward to it.
I just harvested 10 pounds of Asparagus for tomorrows dinner, bought some freshly dug new potatoes and a 50 bottle of Willamette valley Pinot noir.
One of the guys just shot a boar in Sweden, so he'll toss some of that one the grill.
Add all the carzy stories and random bullshit we'll get into afterwards, passing a bottle around the fire and I think it is a good recipe for a fine time.

Stig: MAN! Have a really great time... that sounds perfectly wonderful.

Kinda disliking the Akimbo for now. The runner just seems so superior. Get to mess with it a ton (Akimbo) tomorrow, but I'm not very hopeful for it. It does decend much more smoothly. I hope I made that clear.

We might be able to make that happen, Stephen.
Mid may next year if everything goes right.

Back