zig zag

cory

Tree House enthusiast
I just climbed on it for the first time, did a challenging reduction on a 60' sugar maple. Thing is sweet and smooth! I used to love my friction hitch but after one 3 hour climb, this seems to be significantly better

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
There was basically no learning curve. And when it took up slack by itself after getting some rope weight hanging below it...:big-love:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xB5shC1SaSM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ZZ was my first mechanical. Put a Reon rounds tether to it and it works flawlessly SRT. I use it somewhat a lot. For doubled rope it’s hard to beat.

You children have no idea how blessed you are to have all these options for mechanicals and mixed media mechanicals/hitches. I was fortunate to get in on them at the end of my career climbing...but the upside is, at least I knew how lucky I was to see them develop :). The next gen tree climbers will be oblivious to their great good fortune :D.

Wish I was still in the game - I'd love to try it!

You'd love it. Dat taut line would be livin in da trash can;)

I would hope, that with the wrench modification at play, there would be less side loading on the links that led to cracking.

Reading a bit about it before I bought it seemed to indicate that certain mods had been made and it was improved over the original version. I also liked seeing the vid online that showed break testing it after it had already been used in break testing several ropes. It broke at some nice high number, maybe approx 6k lbs.

I should hope there were some mods over the looks-like-it-will-break---oops design.

How was the crossload test?

I’ve used one for a few years now, as has been said, no learning curve transitioning from the prussik, it’s the same principle.

Bit spooky at first.

I love my zigzag - I use it srt with a wrench & dart. The smooth tending & Consistent behaviour on the rope make it simple to use. I, still switch to the good old HH for spar work as it is so compact.

I'd love to try one sometime DdRT and SRT with a wrench or chicane. I'd never spend my money on the shitcan though. I'd also love to try the rope runner.

A fella could go broke with all the gadgets around now. I own a HH2 and an Akimbo which is plenty for the inconsistent amount of SRT climbing I do.

I just bought the ZZ the other day. Super sweet. The new guys can’t use it yet however. Learn the old way and then graduate

... I own a HH2 and an Akimbo which is plenty for the inconsistent amount of SRT climbing I do.

Those two are plenty regardless of how much you climb. The best of the best. The ZZ looks cool and, aside from some early problems, seems solid. People that use them all seem to be well-satisfied. For myself, I just don't use MRS enough to even bother trying one.

Um, MRS? Obviously I should know this but I'm drawing a blank.

Sounds about right, thanks. :drink:

LOL! Change can be good or it can suck but in either case, it will happen. Just look at the tools we are now climbing with.

The new acronyms really aren't any longer, but hopefully they will paint a more accurate and less confusing picture of what is happening. This may only be the case though for new climbers that don't have to relearn their meaning.

Back