More gizmos

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
A lot of this odd ball stuff might be of interest or it might not .You can shake an engine loose using a grease gun filled with oil using a home made adapter made from an old spark plug with a grease zert .Most grease guns put out 5,000 PSI so it will either come or bleed. I have a zillion pipe taps but they could be brazed in place instead of tapped using threaded bushings .You need to take all the spark plugs out and drown the cylinders with a good penetrating oil and let it soak in .One of those adapters has an air chuck and that might help applying some air pressure on the cylinders .Find a cylinder coming up on compression with the valves closed and fill that cylinder full of motor oil.Then using an adapter with a zert then apply the oil with the grease gun .You only have to shake it about a 1/4" usually .Don't try it on a cylinder at top dead center,that one would be hard to move,about half way up would be best . The pic has M18 adapters but I also have a set for M14 .Those I've used on stuck chainsaw engines .

You can also use compressed air to hold the valves up on an over head valve engine and change the seals without removing the cylinder head .Sometimes you could stuff a rope in the cylinder ,run the piston up tight and do it that way also .

Attachments

• DSCN0523[1].jpg
    DSCN0523[1].jpg
    175 KB · Views: 83
So this breaking an engine free stuff, is it for aiding in disassembly for a rebuild or are you supposed to try firing it up right after breaking it loose? Obviously after getting the oil out in this particular case

Just wondering because I would want to tear it down and inspect it for rough surfaces after locking up, while I know there's plenty of people out there who would try to fire it up just because it turns again.

Maybe combine one thread for all Al's tips?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I roll them with a wrench before I try to start them .You can tell if it's going to hang on a snag .The last I did was a Ford 300 and like a dummy I forget about the oil in the cyllnders and drowned myself with oil .Now you have to make certain all the valves are free of course .

I am going to have to make one of those adapters. That 372 that burned up on me last year needs some hydraulic muscle to get it moving, she's tight real tight.

I can't help it,I was born ornery .My dad said I was born with a Cresent wrench in one hand and a set of micrometers in the other .My mothers disagreed but added she detected a gleam in my eye .

I might have created my own environment through no fault of my own .That's my story and I'm sticking to it .Never the less I've managed to desensitize at least three women that I know of .After a while they just laugh instead of getting all red faced .

Back