Geeze another one

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
If you are doing any clutch work it's not a bad idea while it's apart to change the pilot bearing in the flywheel .If it's a bushing they don't usual go bad .Now the problem could be getting the old bearing out .If you have a little slide hammer some times you can hook it .Here's what you do .Find a piece of shafting,cut off bolt or whatever,even a hard wood dowel that just barely fits tight in the inside bore of the bearing .Fill the bore with grease and give it a mighty thump with a big hammer a BFH .The hydraulic pressure will blow it right out slick as a whistle .

Cool, I would have never thought of using hydraulic pressure with grease to apply force in ways and over surface areas I could never have imagined.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll never brag about this stuff .Growing up like I did I was mentored by old vets from WW1 and WW2 I learned a lot .Tough old SOB's and hard drinkers who would give the shirts of their backs if it were cold out .They liked me even as much of a rebel I was .I got an education as teenager no amount of money could ever buy .Of which I am forever grateful .Now at this age I'm not sure who to pass it on to because I won't live forever .

I was kinda wondering about that Al.

In a hurry to spread your intellectual seed so to speak.

Its no burden for us!

Not to sound like a prick....but is there a VO-Ag program around where you live? FFA? VICA?

Anything like that?

I was an FFA member .Placed seventh and eight in the meat judging contest and in the top 20 in agronomy judging contests in the state of Ohio .--I never wanted to be a farmer because I'm not smart enough.Also because I was never going to inherit a couple of hundreds or a thousand acres of farm land .Puts things in a different perspective .

This little 'trick' is what inspired me to buy a pilot bearing puller. A slide hammer made specifically for pulling pilot bearings. It is a good tip, but it needs to be a tight fit and packed full of grease, otherwise all you have is a mess. Lol.

Was just curious if you could find a program near by and lay some knowledge on the kids.

Any kind of organization with a farm mechanics program would love to hear from you I think.

Just a thought anyway.

Dont you have a lathe Justin......sheesh!

If you Googled it you could most likely find a zillion little known tips on any number of things . In the throw away society we've became almost nobody repairs things anymore .Including myself depending on what it is .Most older stuff however was made in a time it could be in service almost forever but they need some attention,lubrication and adjustment from time to time .If you let those things go you just create more work if it's ever going to work correctly again .Some will some won't .Won't whatever it is ends up as a bumper on a Honda or Chevy pick up truck or something .Maybe a roll of barbed wire for all I know.

I just swapped a clutch maybe 3 months ago and used that pilot bearing trick.

The last miserable clutch job I did was on my 97 Ranger .A damned mouse had made a nest in the clutch compartment and the rags clogged the pressure plate .Couldn't engaged the clutch ,stuck .I went the whole nine yards except the bearing .Hydraulic mechanism,pressure plate disc etc but the bearing was okay I just shot it with WD 40 and blew it out with compressed air and greased the shaft end with stiff axle grease .The only time it comes into play is if in gear with the clutch disengaged like at a stop sign .

If it would have not died on the vine in my drive way and I could have made it to my shop,22 miles away the job would have been a snap .Drive on air over hydraulics car lift and a transmission jack .Hell no, jacked up in my garage, me under it on a concrete floor like when I was 18 years again not 70 .Alas father time got me ,I'm not nearly as strong as in the days I wore a younger mans clothes .

Back