cheater's undercut

murphy4trees

TreeHouser
This is quick, safe and effective... Best used from the bucket due to greater stability in positioning..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y_FQVPkbX4Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is new??? I've always done that when it was needed.

Just common sense really..... never seen it published before

I do it reversed, starting the undercut (going as deep as I can go before pinching) then working my way around and up so the cuts will align. Additionally, I will cut/nip the far side next then come down on the top FAST.

POP!!!

Really? Smooth and safe? That'd be a first.

But per my normal choice these days re Mr. Murphy, I didn't watch it, so I could be badly mistaken.

Really? Smooth and safe? That'd be a first.

But per my normal choice these days re Mr. Murphy, I didn't watch it, so I could be badly mistaken.

Hey, Burnham! I know you don't care much to watch Daniel's videos, but it would interest me to hear your more expert opinion about what happens in this video. Maybe I'm missing something big. I'm not referring to the earlier part of the video in which his saw gets mildly pinched, but the part near the end where he shows the technique he's trying to demonstrate. Maybe the argument could be made that he's cherry picking what he's choosing to show us, and that in another instance things could have gone worse using the same technique. I'd love to hear your veteran timber faller's impressions about the technique demonstrated in the video. I'll understand completely if you have no desire to do so. Thanks for your time in reading this.

Tim

Just looked like a reduction cut to me sorry and nothing that a lot of folks haven’t done already or do on larger timber with a guidebar that won’t reach all the way through. From my limited time climbing I did this for the reasons stated but would roll the saw under and then upwards to reduce the far side, one to put the limb in between myself and the saw and then having the saw withdrawn more on my side to reduce the pinch effect from still pushing across further than necessary.

Waiting on the edge of my seat and chomping on popcorn while drinking beer!
If you do this cut right the throttle is wide open and is basically ( I’m drunk but think a) modified coos bay on a limb.

Back