Another junk yard dawg fix

Al Smith

Mac Daddy
I've got more half fast fixes than Carters has little pills .So this one is sticking clutches .Some of the old junk I have is in excess of 50 years old .They work just fine if they get regular usage but can cause you fits if they sit for a long time .
Clutches for example .Eventually the front transmission seal and the rear engine oil seals leak which throws a slight bit of oil on the transmission input shafts .This collects dust which gets about as hard as concrete .It causes the friction disc to stay partially engaged because the splines on the shaft are fouled with gunk as you apply the clutch pedal making it hard to get in gear without grinding the tranny gears .
The fix,brake cleaner .About every clutch housing has at least a small opening or a cover to gain access .Just block the clutch pedal and drown the shaft area with a can or two of brake cleaner which in a given amount of time will free it up . It dissolves the oil build up and centrifugal force throws it off of the shaft when it's running. It might take several treatments but brake cleaner is cheap,like 2 bucks a can .It's a lot easier than taking the clutch apart .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well for that matter you could use kerosene too .It just wouldn't work as fast as brake fluid .Fact I've done that on old Caterpillars in days before the use of hydraulic assist on the steering clutches .The kerosene won't cause the clutches to slip if you block them and let them drip for a day or so .Sooner it would burn the residue off in short order most likely .Those old asbestos lined clutches would last forever unless they were allowed to get out of adjustment .

Back