Managing employee ADD, Stoner-ADD in the workplace.

Something is amiss. As many many guys work the wet coast in the woods which makes residential wet work seem soft by comparison IMO. I worked for many years in logging camps with many capable people heading out to get soaked through the arse every single day.

It's a regional issue, then. Sean is trying to make something work. The alternative is to suffer. Risk a serious situation, such as injury, death or property damage. Or go out of business.

There are a lot of good employees around here, but there are many more jobs available than there are good people to fill them.

Something is amiss. As many many guys work the wet coast in the woods which makes residential wet work seem soft by comparison IMO. I worked for many years in logging camps with many capable people heading out to get soaked through the arse every single day.

This echoes the reality of my working life from the late 1970's until my retirement in 2012. I see nothing today to think this has changed hereabouts.

Many, many hardworking men and women (you want to talk about hard working...look there; the gals that will take on the environment AND the male dominated woods work scene should rule the world, as far as I am concerned) just went out there every day in our raingear, into conditions that are so much more demanding than this soft little pissant residential treework situation where Sean can't find a single person worth a pint of warm piss to fulfill the most simple tasks.

I just don't get it.

Have you never looked to the immigrant community, Sean? Around here, which is only 3 hours drive south of you, Hispanic crews and individuals labor hard and reliably every day. In the rain :). Plenty of them with proper legal work visas, permanent green cards, or full citizenship.

If your cringing Evergreen collegian's can't muster up the steam, you might try someone with less than a 5th grade education from a second or third world country, that learned to speak, read, and write fluent English as a second language, at the age of 15, 20, or more. It could work to your desired ends.

The only apprenticeship i know of for tree work is the line clearance stuff. They are electricians here, but not full fledged linemen or construction, they have their own deal. I went to a training thing with them years ago, cool thing they put on. I would imagine logging has one too, but I'm not familiar with that.

As far as rain goes, I'm pretty sure i melt :lol: With the kind of money you're offering, I'm kinda amazed you don't have seasoned loggers knocking down his door for work. What's a logger out there make an hour?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've worked at the AT-RISK Youth for years...Did I mention ADD/ ADHD anywhere here? Maybe I have some experience with this? Years of professional experience teaching these kids to survive in rugged wilderness conditions from 100*, down to 7*, living outside 30-60 days, continuously, in crazy conditions, all over? A lot of those kids were tough and learned responsibility, and to follow rules and instructions. NOT BOOT CAMP.
I don't think they fit the bill for professional quality in the PNW.
Thanks for the idea, Brett.

For what it's worth, I've trained large numbers of newbs to be good sawyers at the conservation corps, over years, for a while being the lead trainer. 100 people in the field in the summer. Not all were sawyers.

A lot of those guys were way more skilled after 2-3 months, than all the "production crew guys" I've hired at their beginning with me. I pretty much have to tell everyone what binds are called, most terminology, how to maintain there saws, how to use bucking wedges, etc, etc. The conservation corps members were felling dead trees with wedges on day 3, forward, bucking, limbing, piling, in rugged, remote settings, in harsh conditions.

As to trying to run a one-crew show like a big show, this isn't one of those states where you get to abuse workers by not providing for them if there is an accident, like those 4+ employees companies needing WC, whereas (and I don't say 'whereas' to typical groundworkers, some of them) 3 or less, there is no WC? WTF? Injured employee, biz closes, new biz opens. EZPZ. Loss of some equipment, and walk away from an enormous medial bill. Don't worry, the tax payers or hospital will pick that up. There are a lot of employee protections in place. I live in the Capital. The Department of Labor and Industries (included the WC dept) is minutes from my jobsites.

WC employees go out with telephoto cameras to build cases. No chaps or no helmet are couple-thousand dollar fines. No ear pro or eye pro, I think they give me money...oh, wait, no, I get fined again.

So at what point should I worry about worker safety, efficiency, productivity, avoiding the typical dumb-shit (death, injury, damage, lost equipment, having to go back to fix stuff/ finish tasks)?

Oh, and, yes, true story, I am LEGALLY REQUIRED to do a lot of this stuff.
I have to have an Accident Prevention Program.
http://www.lni.wa.gov/safety/Rules/Chapter/800/helpfultools/APPCoreRuleGuide.pdf

And of course, no injury is a good injury.

I'm looking into places where people have had to pay money and time for their training, not got sent there by the court system.

Did I mention the VERY CLEAR, researched correlation between unsuccessful students, juvenile delinquency, and learning disabilities.

At-risk basically means they have a bad start.

I could get ex-cons and tax breaks. NO friggin' WAY!

https://washingtondnr.wordpress.com...-on-the-trees-future-arborists-in-the-making/

Low-risk, that is mostly drug-crimes, I think (drug abusers who haven't been convicted of higher crimes, usually have committed them).

The one guy I had for a year had worked at Cedar Creek. "Clean". Brain issues. Safety issues. I get applicants that did dangerous jobs thinning in the forest. Do you think that train prisoners that well. A lot of slash cuts with MS 250s.

One guy, the guy who almost killed himself, (literally, I was able to stop him just in time because he wasn't registering what was happening from his independent decision making, 100% different than instructed), seemed like he was institutionalized. When you get called 'sir' all the time from someone barely younger than you, and he wasn't in the military, that he mentioned, and was 35 years old.

Anyhow, I've got to go to work.

I consider all your comments.

Back