Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Managing employee ADD, Stoner-ADD in the workplace.

Yes, explaining the why will help the kind who think they know better know why they are doing what they are doing, and not trying to do it their own "better" way. That may have been a cause for the chipper in face incident.

No it bloody well won’t, all this talk of nice sit down chats, pens and pads, strategies, teaching life skills, ADD etc, is all bollocks.

Get the tree on the floor, through the chipper and on the truck, get paid, go home.

It’s tree work not social work.
    Im condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Hahahahaaa!!! BOLLOCKS!

Sean,

Please don’t take this the wrong way but maybe you are micro managing them too much?

What you expect on a daily basis isn’t unreasonable. You have to take the skills of each guy and utilise them to the best and of their ability. Constantly haveing toolbox talks and updates through out the day. Keep it simple, do tovercomplicate things. As Mick says, get the tree down, get it processed, get the check and then get the help out of there.

Can your not (maybe you have and I missed it) let the guys try and figure shit out for themselves? Instead of mothering them all the time. If you treat them like kids or idiots they will continue to act that way.

Same IMO as calling a child an idiot or lazy. The negatives will be remembered and they will come to believe they are what they have been called.

It seems like you want to manage your small, 1 crew tree team as a FOOTSI 500 multinational. It is just tree work and not rocket science.

I guess without walking in your shoes we don’t exactly know how it would feel. If it were me and the staff had difficulty comprehending the simplest of tasks then they would be out the door sharpish.

I have slot of time for beginners but absolutely zero time for idiots.

Good luck.
    Rich.

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

I'll second that.
    And Mick too, for that matter.

Now I'm going to write something that'll get Butch on my ass again for "Dissing 'Merica".

What the fuck is wrong with a country where you can't get good people to do treework?

The " Bobster" loves to tell us that lefties just want to loaf off and suck the state tit.

Then why is it that here in commieland I've never had that problem.
    Bear in mind that I've trained apprentices for 25+ years.

I've had a few who dropped out, because they realized that logging wasn't really what they thought it would be, but not a single one that wasn't up to the job.

So, Sean, I'm sorry, but I'll have to side with Rich, Mick and Burnham and say that the problem is you, not your employees.

I simply refuse to believe that the workers in the US are as bad as that.
    Deyr f,
    deyja frndr,
    deyr sjalfr it sama,
    ek veit einn,
    at aldrei deyr:
    dmr um dauan hvern.

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Something is amiss. As many many guys work the wet coast in the woods which makes residential wet work seem soft by comparison IMO. I worked for many years in logging camps with many capable people heading out to get soaked through the arse every single day.

Square peg, round world. Dave Shepard's Avatar

It's a regional issue, then. Sean is trying to make something work. The alternative is to suffer. Risk a serious situation, such as injury, death or property damage. Or go out of business.

There are a lot of good employees around here, but there are many more jobs available than there are good people to fill them.

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

It would be nice to have an apprenticeship program for tree work in the US. I sure don't know of any in CA.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

Quote Originally Posted by squisher View Post
    Something is amiss. As many many guys work the wet coast in the woods which makes residential wet work seem soft by comparison IMO. I worked for many years in logging camps with many capable people heading out to get soaked through the arse every single day.
    This echoes the reality of my working life from the late 1970's until my retirement in 2012. I see nothing today to think this has changed hereabouts.

Many, many hardworking men and women (you want to talk about hard working...look there; the gals that will take on the environment AND the male dominated woods work scene should rule the world, as far as I am concerned) just went out there every day in our raingear, into conditions that are so much more demanding than this soft little pissant residential treework situation where Sean can't find a single person worth a pint of warm piss to fulfill the most simple tasks.

I just don't get it.

Have you never looked to the immigrant community, Sean? Around here, which is only 3 hours drive south of you, Hispanic crews and individuals labor hard and reliably every day. In the rain . Plenty of them with proper legal work visas, permanent green cards, or full citizenship.

If your cringing Evergreen collegian's can't muster up the steam, you might try someone with less than a 5th grade education from a second or third world country, that learned to speak, read, and write fluent English as a second language, at the age of 15, 20, or more. It could work to your desired ends.
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

The only apprenticeship i know of for tree work is the line clearance stuff. They are electricians here, but not full fledged linemen or construction, they have their own deal. I went to a training thing with them years ago, cool thing they put on. I would imagine logging has one too, but I'm not familiar with that.

As far as rain goes, I'm pretty sure i melt With the kind of money you're offering, I'm kinda amazed you don't have seasoned loggers knocking down his door for work. What's a logger out there make an hour?
    Kyle