Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Managing employee ADD, Stoner-ADD in the workplace.

Default Managing employee ADD, Stoner-ADD in the workplace.

It's striking me that so many of guys that will do ground work are sorta or wholly ADD/ ADHD, or have Stoner ADD to manage. This is a legal rec cannabis state, so the opportunity to get the most powerful weed on the market is available to absolutely everyone, as conveniently as liquor stores in other places.

My best tactic has been Call and Respond ("okay" is not what I consider Respond-ing) and giving them a little notebook in a ziploc (rain/ sweat proof, cheap, hard to break) and pen.

Seems that I can ask for one or two things from the truck, but three starts to stretch some guys.

Accidents/ near misses are very attributable 'not paying attention'.

I had a frank conversation with my employee, who is trying to better himself and his family situation with this carpenter union gig. I asked him yesterday if he has ever had his attention/ processing assessed. He told me (9 months in) he used to take ADD medicine. THAT EXPLAINS A LOT about work place challenges.

I'm a planner. I bid the job. I know when I bid the job, where/ how the rigs will be parked when we pull up, taking advantage of all factors, as possible. I know what tree to do first to make the next operation better and easier. I work the sun/ shade. Etc, Etc.
    Plan the work, work the plan, ask how's the plan working! Is that so much to ask?

So often guys will change from an organized plan (you work over there on that task, taking the time it takes to do it right, not Quick Quick!! Real Fast!!) to what someone else is doing, like magnetism, especially when its something new starting (e.g. going from picking up brush to rake/ blow).

Well, the kid just got up. gotta go.

thoughts?
    Strategies?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Sean, you would drive me up the wall with your conduct if I worked for you (not now, as a younger man)

A little notebook and pen? Thatíd be straight through the chipper.
    Iím condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I'm like a dog watching television here...

What would you do Mick to avoid repeating yourself all day, rather than working the higher functions of your operation? I can't do both at once.

I don't need a notebook, unless I do. When I need to write things down, I do.

Do you only delegate on task at a time? I'd never be able to leave the shop or job and return with my priorities accomplished, not what they could remember, or felt like should be done (not knowing the whole plan).

Btw, hangover issues are less here, than some places, imo.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

I don't know the answer for your situation, Sean. In my prior to retirement life's work, people doing basically manual labor that failed to perform like you describe, didn't keep their jobs very long. I suppose that just isn't the way it is done any more.

I believe you are paying a decent wage, no? If more money buys better staff, could that be a path?
    "Confidence is the feeling you sometimes have before you fully understand the situation."

Square peg, round world. Dave Shepard's Avatar

I feel your pain. I've been training three guys this spring who all fit this description. There is no hope for them. None.

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

My type A personality conflicts with idiots that can't hold a thought or not even registrar a simple request to do a task. Like 180 out sometimes. So, my solution to keep my sanity is not keeping them on the team. The team is shrinking and I can always take on simpler solo work.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Work, walk or fight!

Not so much nowadays, that last part.

No idea Sean, but not treating them like 8 year old would be a start.
    Iím condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

Just a few thoughts

They need practice remembering. Tell them what to do, and quiz them frequently. Something like that might work. Maybe get started a little earlier and stand around having them come up with a plan for the days work. Then they might develop planning/problem solving skills, and they might better remember what to do and how to do it if it is their own idea.

Maybe a little incentive: whoever you see stand around the least, or least distracted gets a little bonus at the end of the day. It doesn't have to be necessarily the hardest worker phisically, as different jobs require different amounts of physical effort, but whoever seems most focused and busy. Try to find some method, and some affordable reward that makes trying harder a goal they always want to work for. Maybe make a game out of it if at all possible.

I get my fun out of tree work when things start becoming fast paced and when trying to find the most efficient way of doing things, of course always with safety in mind. I either want to work fast and continuously or not at all, it's hard to keep focused at a slow pace if that's what the nature of the work involves and if it isn't very engaging at the same time. I also have fun and take some pride in doing things right. After a while of practicing doing things with meticulous perfection and foresight, once can get a little OCD, then you back off and find the right level of attention to detail.

People rely on habits, try to form your guys some good habits until they stick.

Maybe they feel they're just ground guys as if that's some worthless position. I never want any ground man to say they're "just a ground man". Give people a little authority in decision making, planning and such. Maybe they feel certain tasks are above their pay. Maybe they don't get told a simple "good job" enough when they do things right. I know I tend to not say anythings when things go well because I expect them to. "No news is good news" type thing. But a simple good job goes a long way in self confidence.