Time to start climbing.

KcFerry

Treehouser
Hello to all,
My name is Kevin and I need to start climbing! As a general contractor in PA who occasionally removes trees for additions or new construction, I'm tired of renting a lift for jobs where I know it would be cheaper and faster to climb for limbing and removal. Besides...how could you not love the idea of ascending a large tree with good quality climbing gear! Which brings me to my first question. Can anyone recommend a climbing kit (like one of the kits from TreeStuff.com) Just FYI...I fully understand the risks and take this seriously! I also don't mind spending a little more for quality gear.

This is gonna happen, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Humble climbing student,
Kevin

Welcome to this House , Climbing and Rigging changed my whole life (though who's to say for the better or worse) ... Plenty information here. Personal Protective Gear is real , well personal ... Can take awhile to get what you want that s comfortable and works for you.

Welcome to the TreeHouse, Kevin! Make yourself at home. :beer:

Don't be shy about filling out your profile...

It will take a while, but look into reviews of various equipment pieces on Tree Stuff, and find what you think suits your preferences and needs according to the comments left in reviews. What I've been doing is watching The Working Climber series which goes over some basics of available equipment and how to use them, and picking out what gear I think I want to try using as I learn. For me, I shy away from the more expensive stuff, but really want ascent ease because I have an easily injured shoulder that I don't want to stress. Then going from there, I'm finding what is comfortable and easy for me.

I'd recommend assembling your own kit with only things you really think you will use. I looked at some of the kits and just didn't think I would get the most for my money of stuff I want to use.

Welcome Kevin, you will find this is an amazing forum for learning all sorts of stuff, especially tree work!!! I also would not get a kit, rather get individual pieces that fit your budget, performance requirements, and need. Having said that, i just rented a lift today :D. Also check out the digital copy of the Fundamentals of General Tree Work, written by a member here and is considered the bible of this trade. It's very reasonably priced as a digital copy, and will teach you stuff for years to come. I learn something every time i open it. You can find it here...

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?20758-The-Fundamentals-is-back!

Lots of good advise so far.
I'll have to second the build you own kit sentiment. Decide what climbing style you want to use and go from there.
But I will say "low and slow" at first and never stop practicing your knots, know them frontwards, backwards, upside down, right side up, and blind folded your life depends on it.

Howdy!

You can sometimes get good used, quality buys from reputable sources, here.

Extra gear, outgrown gear, shrunk outta gear, gear bought in a 'lot' of gear, etc.

Treestuff has it all, too.

Scope the Beginner Tree Climber thread 'stickied' in the Climbing Subforum, if I recall correctly.

Jump right in.

Coool people here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You guys rock!
I have a good idea what I need to get going without a kit. I'll start slow and let the tree and common sense tell me what I need. I'm sure that after I stick my gaffs in for the first time...I have a whole set of questions.:? Currently working on a big piece of land where I can put some time in at my own pace.
Thank you!

VWyRECL.gif

Welcome.

Good luck with the purchases.

I noticed you mentioned Ascending the tree on gaffs. That is an Important part of treework where removals are involved. Pruning not so.

Try and look into spikeless pruning. Better for the tree, industry practice and you will become a better climber if you can climb using techniques without the gaffs.

Crap , we didn't mention Jeppson's book , Companion. Small , probably cheap and easy to find ... has all the basics plus. Companion and Fundamentals are the two important works for sure.

Welcome to the house, Kevin. I will second everyone else that recommended buying separate pieces instead of a kit. For doing what you mentioned as your primary activity, "As a general contractor in PA who occasionally removes trees for additions or new construction," it would be easy to waste money on things you will not need.

Honesty, you will not need much in the way of gear for simple removals, so don't penny-pinch on these items.

Get good comfortable spurs. My choice is the DMM Geckos. They're ultra lightweight, have offset shanks and wide thin foot bed that makes them comfortable to use even with heavy hiking boots that have arch support.

Get a heavy, thick flipline, not a thin, lightweight lanyard.

For simple removals you will not need a fancy harness because you will not be spending hours hanging from a rope or being sideways on a limb tip. You can go sturdy and inexpensive here.

Stick with 1/2" double braid, polyester climbing line for climbing and get something different for lowering limbs if that will be needed.

Keep it simple and don't go beyond what you feel comfortable with. Good luck.

Samson tends to have the best price to strength ratio for rope. And there's like a 5-10% coupon code on Tree Stuff "ARBORIST" I think is what it is?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to the house, Kevin. I will second everyone else that recommended buying separate pieces instead of a kit. For doing what you mentioned as your primary activity, "As a general contractor in PA who occasionally removes trees for additions or new construction," it would be easy to waste money on things you will not need.

Honesty, you will not need much in the way of gear for simple removals, so don't penny-pinch on these items.

Get good comfortable spurs. My choice is the DMM Geckos. They're ultra lightweight, have offset shanks and wide thin foot bed that makes them comfortable to use even with heavy hiking boots that have arch support.

Get a heavy, thick flipline, not a thin, lightweight lanyard.

For simple removals you will not need a fancy harness because you will not be spending hours hanging from a rope or being sideways on a limb tip. You can go sturdy and inexpensive here.

Stick with 1/2" double braid, polyester climbing line for climbing and get something different for lowering limbs if that will be needed.

Keep it simple and don't go beyond what you feel comfortable with. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice! I'm putting together a list.

Samson tends to have the best price to strength ratio for rope. And there's like a 5-10% coupon code on Tree Stuff "ARBORIST" I think is what it is?
Welcome KCferry! Also If later on you find splicing interesting Samson double braid polyester climbing ropes are easy to work with.

Kcferry, are you near Skippack PA? There is a good arborist shop called Pennholo you can check out some gear

Kevin, I started climbing in 1967 and did it up until a stroke slowed me down about 3 years ago. Still do it with grand kids occasionally. This is a good site to pick up some tips, especially from the likes of Jerry Beranek and Dave McNeill. I think the times I picked up the most new ideas and good info on using them have been attendance at Tree Climbing Championships, especially the 2 I competed in in 93 and 94. We are not an extremely secretive group when it comes to sharing ideas. You just need to start low and slow and see what works for your abilities and work situations.
Most of all have fun and be safe. If you enjoy it you will never have to go to work a day in your life.

Back