Animated GIF Thread 2019

What would you use for these tasks and conditions?

Ok, I found a new mouse, but the gif stil don't want to play. The right click open a menu in which almost nothing is available.

Last edited:
I have adblocker ultimate, but it's the same with it running or not.
I had an other one before, but still, youtube manages to sneak some ads (annoying but not the worse part) and Firefox runs like crap. Sometimes, I see a big activity and memory use, even if I don't visit a site. The main issue is that something seems running in parallel with firefox without showing in the tasks manager (surprisingly) and apparently it freezes and jams firefox. I have to shut down aggressively firefox and open it again multipletimes. Eventually plugin-container (from firefox) appears in the tasks manager. I shut down this one aggressively too and only then, firefox can run somewhat well enought for a while. Is there something fishy here or is that just my obsolete machine, I'm not smart enough to sort it out.
I can't tell if these issues are related or not.

Sounds like you're running WinXP? There's not many good reasons to run that anymore. It's insecure, and outdated technology. A solid state drive and gnu/linux would make the most of the machine, but it'll still be old. Even a pawnshop special would be better than an ancient computer.

Xp3 non the less, lol,
ok ok, I'll put some money to change the thing. I need an upgrade myself too. That's so much time I didn't look at the specs and functions of a PC, it has become an unknown land. Actually it was the main reason to postpone my dinosaur's retirement.

Last edited:
Try adding AutoplayStopper to Firefox, that might help a bit. If you can't find it in Add-ons you can download it here. AutoplayStopper - https://autoplaystopper.en.softonic.com/

I use it and never thought about mentioning it before because I have to start the Gfycat ones, but I think they auto play here so that would slow things down.

It works on most browsers if anyone else want's to stop auto play. How to Disable Autoplaying GIFs From Your Web Browser - https://wethegeek.com/how-to-disable-autoplaying-gifs-from-your-web-browser/

You don't need an add-on to stop autoplay. You simply need to change the setting in Firefox and nothing plays automatically. TV news websites are the absolute worst.

That hurts my feeling too. Some of that makes sens but it seems like false logic to me, as in the following thinking is right while the initial concept is erroneous. I saw a vid about the gravity from one of the "youtube thinkers". From the math point of view I guess that's perfectly rigth, but the associated wording doesn't mach with our reallity.
One point of the demo was a man falling from a building. An observer falling with him sees no influence at all of the gravity on him. Conclusion, there is no such a thing as a gravity acceleration or force. Well, that's logical.
But I bet that the falling man would strongly desagree. The feeling of the downward acceleration is very real (and I hate it), during a freefall or nearly freefall.
My problem is why putting the observer in all the same conditions as the subject of experiment. Of course he doesn't see any influence of the gravity, because he's himself subjected in exactly the same way and no differential effect can be seen. If you want to study something, you better have to stay out of it.

I think a lot of the problem with advanced physics is we don't have words or concepts to describe them. People try to say "It's like x, y, and/or z", but it really isn't. There's superficial similarities, but it ends up throwing confusion into the mix. Pure math is probably the best way to describe the concepts, but pure math is hard, and hard to talk about. I think humans just need to become smarter.

The problem is that advanced mathematics are needed to model the world around us, and therefore to successfully explain it. When Newton was doing his experiments on gravity, he realized the existing mathematics of the day were unable to successfully model it, so he literally invented calculus. Acceleration in science is defined as a change in speed or direction, aka a change in the vector. Since gravity is continuously exerting a force on objects, the definition of free fall is constant acceleration, which is roughly 9.8 meters per second per second.

You can't escape gravity, it is simply the attraction between matter. The relativity of it (the observer thing) is "easily" accounted for, until you approach the speed of light, which starts to distort the space/ time thing, which is what Einstein discovered. Newton's formulas were modified to account for this, as they are constantly updated as we learn more. Today they are studying antimatter so the formulas don't work, so they are getting changed again.

Lager the mass the stronger the force of gravity. Planets orbit stars, moons orbit planets. I get that part, but equating it to an acceleration force I fail. It's a tough concept to grasp.

It is, and scientists are still working on it. Gravity is simply the force, the acceleration is the free fall, or the effect of the gravity. I think you are confusing the acceleration caused by gravity and gravity itself. A force causes an acceleration, and so gravity causes an acceleration. It's all related and is hard to separate, and the lack of a "normal" definition makes it worse. It whipped my butt in school too, i was going to be an engineer and had to go thru 2 high level physics classes that dealt with this and similar stuff almost exclusively, and used calculus to do it all. Needless to say it really sucked, but i was forced to learn how velocity, acceleration, and jerkyness are all mathematically related.

There is no "force" of gravity. Gravity is more like an "effect" or an inevitable consequence of objects moving through space-time.
Yes, I studied physics and calculus, too. My original career path was tending toward nuclear physics, but life and circumstances led me to biology and then trees instead. Go figure.

And then you start playing with string theory to try and tie the unifying concept together, and then it gets real fun. Maybe the eastern diciplines had it figured out. Waves of light and sound form the universe (s), realities and the quantum world.

Last edited:
All that noise is fine...and is worth trying to understand.

But I say again..."gravity sucks". And by that I mean, if you are a big fat slob and expect a small tree branch to support you, you are a dumb bunny.

There might actually be a lesson there for us tree climbers...just saying ;).
:D

Back