Animated GIF Thread 2019

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
satisfying-pictures-of-winter-submarine.gif

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/vt2kGcT"><a href="//imgur.com/vt2kGcT">Player 2 has entered the game.</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Quite the wreck.

That chain thing was mad cool. Couple things- interesting how they pointed out chain is as useful now as it has been for hundreds of years. And crazy how the chain got orange hot so quickly running thru that electrical device. So Kyle, the welding of the chain, apparently done by sheer heat from basically a purposeful short circuit, right? No welding rod material, just heat to melt the 2 ends together?

All that tempering chit about making the metal stronger, harder, yet avoiding brittleness, that stuff is fascinating but so foreign to me. I guess folks figured that stuff out by just lots of trial and error, eh?

No, resistance welding. Same thing as a spot welder. Or if you took a stick welder and stuck the electrode to the work piece and didn't break it free the rod would glow red and melt. The arc in arc welding is the voltage/amperage "arcing" across a gap form the - and + leads. The electrode is consumed whereas resistance welding the filler is the metal being welded all by itself, heated up and pushed together. I am sure Kyle can explain it better.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="eSnqQOT"><a href="//imgur.com/eSnqQOT">Iowa Farmer: Go to hell nature, I've got crops to put in. </a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's an easy toss, but I wouldn't take the chance.

AnxiousAbandonedDiscus-size_restricted.gif

Her, I'd take the chance!!!

I wouldn't know what to do with that...... :/:

I apologize for my delay, working long hours and attempting to catch up on sleep. I've tried embedding videos, my phone just says no lol

Yeah it basically uses the resistance of the metal itself to heat it to welding temperature rather quickly, and then pressure to make the weld. Lots of objects are welded that way, in fact i think it's the most common form of welding by volume of products. It's really a modernization of forge welding, which is the oldest technique of welding there is (Damascus steel for example). The heat treating is done to harden the steel and them add toughness back to it by tempering. Have you ever noticed logging chain really doesn't rust quickly? That's due to the carbon content, and the more carbon the stronger the steel, but it makes other processes like welding and machining harder to do. All the heat treating does is change the grain structure of the material to have the characteristics that are wanted. The wire is fully annealed to start, so the forming processes can happen cold. The weld adds stresses, which are relieved by heating. When quenched, the metal freezes in large grain structures, which freeze the carbon in place, making it very hard but brittle (files are used in this state). By heating slightly, the grain structure is allowed to get slightly smaller, and form small grains in between the larger grains, which allows them to move a bit before the bonds are torn (toughness). That's the simplified version for steel, different alloys get more complex :lol: Basically the different alloys add a few molecules of another metal to act like a catalyst for freezing, which forms grain structures in a certain manner (same as carbon in regular steel), but they all do it differently.

Kyle would you forward that post on to China so we can get some steel that does what it's supposed to do? :)

On one tree forum there is a thread that goes on and on for pages about the mysteries of Morbark chippers braking feed wheel shafts. The picture of the broken shafts shows crystalline grain like cast iron. And no one seems to be able to get Morbark to take responsibility for it.

09, you have a gift for explaining stuff.

Thanks. 8)

Now I want a green python!

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/CdMz0ra"><a href="//imgur.com/CdMz0ra">A green python unboxing...</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/sOa9v4f"><a href="//imgur.com/sOa9v4f">Buster Keaton used to play life risks. Part - 1 </a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Those are some cool stunts!!!!

The thing is that when steel is broken, it also shows a crystalline structure that looks like broken cast iron. Obviously those shafts are defective, and are likely defective because of the lack of proper heat treatment, but they are most likely steel that's even the correct grade. If they aren't tempered correctly they will have too much martinsite and will be very brittle, and when broken will show exactly like you said.

I should have gotten some pictures from last week. On pipeline the gate weld tests use what are known as nick breaks, where you cut a section of pipe and weld out like you would for a bend test (the weld in the middle), but you then cut a bit on each side and across the face slightly, making the cut area in the weld the smallest cross section. You then tear the strap in two, and the resulting torn steel surfaces will show if any faults exist in the weld. What the surface looks like depends on the rod used, but it actually shows the steel fracture surface, which looks cool :lol: Its handy for quick destructive weld analysis in the field, and takes less than a minute to prep a strap for testing.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="NyymWu5"><a href="//imgur.com/NyymWu5">View from a restaurant in Interlaken, Switzerland.</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The 3 tall mountains in the background are Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau.
Guess you all know about Eiger Nordwand or " The North Face".

Those are special to me, because when I worked in Schweiz ,they were an ever present part of my day.
Walking home from the forest in the evening on clear days, the setting sun would make them rose colored.

Back