Climbing , Flagpoles that is

Never had a problem with it, but we've only climbed fiberglass poles.
I wouldn't trust my life to an old wooden one.

As for leaning back, Gary. It is no different from climbing a tall thin springpole in the woods.
they'll bend over if you lean back.
Keep your back to the wind if it is blowing, like you would if you were seed harvesting in tall firs.

It is like any other climbing.
Set your two straps, find a rythm and forget you are above the ground.

No big deal, really.

The first time was, obviously, untill we worked out how to do it.

The golf course pays cash, under the table. Goes straight to the travel fund.
So when we climb a flagpole, we think of California and Sequioa/Redwoods or riding the Alps on motorcycles.
Makes everything go easier:D

I wouldn't forget I'm off the ground...I'd make sure my rhythm doesn't start the pole a-movin', like the thing to avoid climbing a dead fir top into smaller wood.

I'd want to know about load rating. You can always guy it three ways, midway up.

Sean, think about how much wind pull there is on a big flag on a really windy day. It bends the fiberglass pole way over.
After that, do you really think your skinny ass is going to break the pole?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They are the store at the bottom of my hill , when I go there later for foods I will hang without the saddle to check friction with three or four different material sling selections

I don't know how much gust-force there is, and what size flag we are talking. I'm one to stack odds in my favor. Don't know what size Dave is, either. I'm guessing most serious skiers are fit.

How's it mounted? No way to just unbolt it from a flange in the ground or pull it out of a sleeve that's sunk in the ground?

So it seems I can grip the thing with slings and rope , that's good. Completely misjudged the sway on that windy day , the top does move around pretty good. Have the customer's new line and will give it a try.

Been on rain and wind delay , watched some videos of Flagpole work (all different setups , went from very clever and easy down all the way to clunky , slow , and very stupid), gave me time to think and rig smart with the gear I have. Feel good about my gear and setup I have put together now anyways when I go.

Using the gear I have is the goal , nylon web gear is definitely the preffered mode ( though I will use a rope safety w a wrap for extra ...) The best vid used medium webbing , the though many used small. I only have small and large , oddly enough I do I have a heavy pole sling from long ago which rarely gets used. I rigged the pole sling w a short piece of Fly double line. Rigged the bigger ring sling with two small webbing footloops ... Both within easy reach for advance

Excellent question , next time I get a good weather window. We have had way too much wind and rain for the last ten months to get much done. Rather climb the smooth fiberglass when dry , rather deal with the sway on the top reduced diameter section when fairly calm for wind. Hell , mebbee tommorow.

Well , mission accomplished ! ... Wasn't really that bad except it rained , I had to switch out the heavy slings for light ones about two thirds way up for better grips ... Oh yeah arrived up top, first white greased the Pulley and then realized the Customer had purchased the wrong size Halyard replacement line , too big !. Emergency plan , used what was left of their old line tied to the new for later pull through ... Took seemingly forever to push line through the pulley into the poles center cavity with a slot screwdriver until line weight took over. Phew !

You better have some freakin' pictures or this has just been a fictional dust-up....:D

... I generally hate taking pics when I'm working , a few store customers had comments and took pics though. Asked my ground support if he snapped any , he replied that he took pics of the people taking pics of us. Close I guess.

What did I say?

It ain't that hard to do.

... I did put lot's of trust into your words Stig ! (When I started the thread I did have a feeling that of all the members here you may have done this before.) Thanks , as it helped

Back