What do you folks think about the 'Autotune'/'Mtronic' carbs?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yep. Some of us are getting complacent about it too. We shouldn't accept it. We should push back! We used to have the best quality in the whole world here in the USA. We taught the Japanese how to make quality products; prior to 1980 they're stuff was worse than China is today.

No, the right way to do it is to test your stuff completely before going to market. I'm a retired software engineer and I know a lot about
testing. It's the most important part of product development... A lot of large companies nowadays don't do it right! Did you hear about Boeing
and their 737 recently??? Tesla, Microsoft, Apple, and lots of others too... Sometimes people get killed because of it...

You can test and test till you’re blue in the face (or your company has gone to the wall) but until you put a saw in the hands of hundreds of thousands of users you’ll never find out all the issues.

Every machine has some weaknesses and flaws, you’ll never eliminate all of them.

Iterate + continuous improvement. (Then don't throw it all away with planned obsolescence or undermining your brand by cutting corners in manufacturing -- the "Age of Cheap.")

Yep. Some of us are getting complacent about it too. We shouldn't accept it. We should push back! We used to have the best quality in the whole world here in the USA. We taught the Japanese how to make quality products; prior to 1980 they're stuff was worse than China is today.

That is your patriotism running away with you.

As early as the late 60es, Toyota was putting out cars that were way more dependable than what came from Detroit.
You didn't teach the Japanese anything about quality, they figured that out by themselves.

How come there are no US made pro saws on the market today.
Seeing as how you make such quality products.

I knew this would turn your crank.

But tell me this.

Is it untrue?

Am I simply talking bullshit, because , according to you, I hate America or did you guys go the same way as the British motorcycle industry.

Notice BTW, that if I bring up the decline of said motorcycle industry, brought on mostly by sheer stupidity and unwillingness to change things, because by god, British buildt is better and they'll just have to understand that, while meanwhile Honda put out the CB750, and blew them off the map.................................none of our British members get offended.

Or come to think of it, maybe it is just the stiff upper lip thing, and they all sit at home with their cups of tea and steam literally coming out of their ears.

Willard (late of this parish) had the story of McCulloch (or however it’s spelt) the last manufacturer of pro saws in the US.

Something about the old man dying and the sons not being interested.

Édit. Thread here from AS explaining it https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/mcculloch-saw-age-and-what-happened-to-mac.75488/

2k? Is that a mistake?

Thanks for posting the link to the story, Mick. It was an interesting read.

I'd be guessing the price is not a mistake. Rarity makes for high prices. Just as with Jerry's hard copy book.

Tim

That is your patriotism running away with you.

As early as the late 60es, Toyota was putting out cars that were way more dependable than what came from Detroit.
You didn't teach the Japanese anything about quality, they figured that out by themselves.

How come there are no US made pro saws on the market today.
Seeing as how you make such quality products.

Agree on the Toyota quality/Japanese being more dependable in the late 60's. Two guy's from the USA taught the major Japanese companies about total quality control and just-in-time manufacturing after WWII; I did a thesis on Japanese quality back in the 80's. Look up W. Edwards Deming and a guy named Joseph M. Juran. The Wikipedia articles on these guys will tell the story. The Japanese didn't figure it out by themselves. For quite a while, while I was growing up, most of Japan had a very bad quality reputation; worse than China does today. Younger folks won't be aware of this...

Good question on US made saws. Don't know why... The USA used to make great quality products back in the 40's, 50's, 60's, and many in the 70's. But, most of our stuff is made in China now. Some of it is good quality; most is sub-standard. I think the shift to China, for us, was mostly the fault of our lawmakers and greedy US companies. A lot of US companies are bringing back their manufacturing from China due to the quality issues and red-tape issues.

I'm actually not much of a USA patriot nowadays, when it comes to purchasing products. I go where the quality is. I like German, Swiss, and other EU products, as well as Japanese, although the Japanese companies are outsourcing a lot of their products to China now... I do like 'made in Japan' though.

I bet environmental changes pushed things overseas. The manufacturing regulations aren't for products made FOR the US, just in the US.

What a different world it would be if we didn't outsource our environmental degradation. People living with the pollution from their consumer choices.

The old Homelite saws were good too. As late as the 70's and early 80's. I wouldn't call them 'pro saws' though. They don't make them in the USA anymore though and the quality on all their products is sub-standard nowadays...

You just put Schweiz in the EU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:O

Don't ever do that when a Swiss person is listening.

I'm married to a Swiss gal, so I know.:lol:

Thanks for those two names.
I didn't know about those guys.
So there was some American influence on the whole process of getting the Japanese industry up to top level.

I should have guessed, since they have a long tradition of importing knowledge , like the American and Prussian who modernized their army after they did away with the Samurai system.

I stand corrected.

No problemo Stig. I always (wrongly) think of the Swiss as being included in the EU because they are a part of the 'single market'. And they're right next door to the EU members and on the continent... No offense to your wife!!!

McCulloch brand is alive and in Elux/Hva today. European McCulloch has been in Elux since early 60's. Built plants in Belgium and Italy.
McC went south as the focus was lost of making pro saws in the brand (regardless of brand and owner its down hill without pro saws and good dealer support), just like Homelite, Partner and many other brands.

Back