What do you folks think about the 'Autotune'/'Mtronic' carbs?

My outfit probably have more saw hours yearly than 99% of the members here.
We love them.

But read my Stihl 500I thread and you'll see that by now carbs are really obsolete:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's good to hear. I've been hearing rumors about fuel-injected saws for years... I wonder when they'll start offering them here in the USA?

Do you have any Husky's with autotune that you use daily?

Nope.
I drive a VW, ride a BMW for fun and and my saws are Stihl.

I like German stuff.

I do too! Stihl certainly makes good saws. I had several that burned up in the Santa Rosa fires, along with my house...
I'm looking at Husky, and Echo as well as Stihl now that I need to replace them though. Sounds like the new microprocessor
controlled carbs are okay.

Personally, I'd say better than OK.
If I never have to tune a saw again, that is fine with me.

Hope insurance treated you right on that one.
But even if they did, losing your house really must hurt.

Yeah, my insurance company was pretty good. Better than some I heard about. There were several thousand houses burned in the 2017 fires. I'm rebuilding. Everything I have is new... It was quite an interesting experience - losing everything you own...

Supposedly you can order the non "c" m-tronic versions of some saws: 261, 362. I don't know about the 462, probably not, but I'd hope you could for a 661

Husky's here mostly , have a strict policy ... I will never buy anything with Auto Tune microchip (Bumbaclot Engineer) ever again !!! Hi Lo screws are fine , don't usually bring a computer with software to work.

Husky's here mostly , have a strict policy ... I will never buy anything with Auto Tune microchip (Bumbaclot Engineer) ever again !!! Hi Lo screws are fine , don't usually bring a computer with software to work.

Does Husky have a problem with them? What happened with the one you tried?

From what I've heard, I will never get an autotune Husqy. I hear a high failure rate, poor QC in general, and a computer at the dealer is needed to adjust auto tune.

I've had my share of trouble out of the autotune saws. A 2 month old 661 quit idling. Low idle solenoid. Obviously out of warranty. Cost $40 and pretty easy to put on
They should have those kind of problems worked out before selling to the public or at least make it good instead of using us as guinea pigs at our expense. Before mods, my newest 201 tc had a slight hesitation after idling for about 5 seconds. Every single time. Knowing it was coming on every cut was annoying. Shouldn't have to mod a saw to make them run right. If these 2 saws had a regular carb I could have fixed the problems in 5 seconds with a minor adjustment. Now its a semi major problem. But this is the future and it's what everything is going to.

I've got a bunch of computer carb huskys. The older models are hit or miss. They all run well but one in particular is a bitch to start sometimes. The 562 I bought (2017 model) has been flawless.

I'm looking at the 562XP as a possible mid-sized saw. It's got a Zama carb (microchiped), according to Husky support. I would prefer Walbro, but it's hard nowadays to get away from Zama... Sounds like yours is running fine though; that's encouraging.

A little tiny screwdriver , or a trip to the dealership computer. No Fenke Fenke

I wonder if we can get the software to use at home??? Having to go to the dealer is a drawback. I'll bet they charge for it too, if the saw is out-of-warranty?

I've had my share of trouble out of the autotune saws. A 2 month old 661 quit idling. Low idle solenoid. Obviously out of warranty. Cost $40 and pretty easy to put on
They should have those kind of problems worked out before selling to the public or at least make it good instead of using us as guinea pigs at our expense. Before mods, my newest 201 tc had a slight hesitation after idling for about 5 seconds. Every single time. Knowing it was coming on every cut was annoying. Shouldn't have to mod a saw to make them run right. If these 2 saws had a regular carb I could have fixed the problems in 5 seconds with a minor adjustment. Now its a semi major problem. But this is the future and it's what everything is going to.

I agree. A lot of products these days are not fully tested before release for sale. You'd think the saw manufacturers would know better!
Sounds both Stihl and Husky microchip saws are 'hit-or-miss'... I guess I'll just use them often before the warranty runs out and try to work the bugs out
before warranty ends...

STIHL mtronic = perfect tune regardless of conditions ... IF you are exceptional at carb tuning you CAN get the same results ... ymmv

I've never had to take one of our saws to the dealer for a tune up.
NEVER.
With 5 guys runnings saws 8 hour a day for 7 months last year.

Those things just work!

Don't try to let the fact that the Swedes apparently can't get it working, rub off on the Germans.

I heard the first 661 had a problem, but they fixed that pretty quick. It's the only auto tuning saw I've used, and runs great. You can sometimes heard it tune the engine a little, and I've found it easy to flood and hard to unflood, so only use 1 pull with the choke on at first only when it has sat for a day.

The 441 is my only Mtronic, I'm pleased with it.
Heard bad shit about early Husky autotune as well, and have heard great things about their more recent batches.

Thanks all you guy's for chiming in on this. I'm getting the impression that, maybe, the newer 'Mark II' Husky's are better with autotune than the originals? These two companies really are using us as guinea pigs... I'm going to write them both a letter...

No, the right way to do it is to test your stuff completely before going to market. I'm a retired software engineer and I know a lot about
testing. It's the most important part of product development... A lot of large companies nowadays don't do it right! Did you hear about Boeing
and their 737 recently??? Tesla, Microsoft, Apple, and lots of others too... Sometimes people get killed because of it...

This reminds me of my RC airplane hobby. Horizon Hobby, which has a lot of good ideas for RC planes, tends to push them out before the aerodynamics and center of gravity are dialed in just right. I even heard from someone who went to a big expo event that a HH test pilot demo flying for the public a new airplane told him it wasn't 100% yet, but they had released it a short time earlier anyway. And they tend not to go back and fix the issues on RC's, since they discontinue most new designs in a couple years anyway whether or not they are good.

The experience difference for many of their products would have been night and day if they just put a little more work into it. Shows you what kinds of businesses we have around here these days.

Back