Having a notion to finally purchase a grill/griddle combo

I occasionally see commercial flat tops for sale on craigslist for the same amount of money, just sayin it might be worth looking for. Even calling a restaurant supply house and see if they have any returns or consignment deals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I managed to avoid spending money as of now. I purposely left cash and CC at home today. I’ll probably stop there tomorrow after work and check it out. Also waiting on my brother to check with the company that supplies the griddles for Bob Evans. He said a few of the local restaurants are due for an upgrade and the supplier has offered to sell him one in the past. Just need to change the regulator for propane.
Thanks Stephen. Looking for all he information I can get on these things.

It's a Camp Chef 3 burner stove. Then he bought the griddle top and pizza stone for it. That way, you have the best of all worlds at camp. We fed our whole crew and custy at our logging camp with it.

I like what I’m reading. This one is a four burner and the griddle lifts off and the grill top is underneath. I’ve already got a pizza stone that I’m gonna have to try out as well. Thanks CV

YVW. We have had good luck with ours. We liked the stove set up and accessories. Hell, we use it for canning out doors when it's hot and I think Rob even rendered some beef fat from the neighbors steer they slaughtered not long ago. Handy bugger.

I went and bought it. Cooked breakfast for 7 this morning. 1&1/2 pounds of bacon, a pound of sausage links, and bag of hash browns all done in less than 20 minutes. A dozen eggs over easy right after. Hash browns are still my nemesis. I’m either cooking them to hot or not hot enough. Burnt or mushy. Today was mushy.

Get a handled press from a restaurant supply. Good for hash browns and speeding up meat on the grill.
You can use an old pan lid if your centers are not done as well to keep the heat on them. Press for making them more crispy outside. Make sure your oil is hot too before you lay them on the griddle.
charcoal-companion-grill-presses-cc5024-64_1000.jpg
Pretty cheap on line.....
https://express.google.com/u/0/product/16384095420371005267_10709442742468978364_4803525?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=tu_cu&utm_content=eid-lsjeuxoeqt%2Ceid-vqiqlmovzs&gtim=CNCJtPvbu6Pz3gEQrqDE55y7hYHXARjw-d4CIgNVU0QokNOO5gUwxZelAg&utm_campaign=4803525&gclid=CjwKCAjwqfDlBRBDEiwAigXUaG244OeAdauIshgNSJFl1ykDwnv8wlEzLyZXPman_Z-7Rwy_P84lvRoCi7gQAvD_BwE

Do you preheat that? Or just set it on top? Either way it’s on my list of accessories.

Ever seen a turkey fryer fire, Jimbo?

A block over from me had a doozy a few years ago, I don't think they read the instructions. Could've been worse, but they lost a nice deck and some vinyl siding and windows. Don't really know the details, but there's a few ways to screw it up.

We use ours to boil water for corn on the cob when we host more than a couple people.

I could imagine a butterball turkey could really catch fire.

After all, When Ernest Shackleton and his crew were marooned on Elephant island, they kept warm all winter by burning Penguins.

Yea can become out of control very quickly. Too much oil, or a bird not properly thawed is a recipe for disaster, also supposed to dry the bird a bit by patting it with paper towels. It might really look like there's not enough oil in there to cover the bird, but the oil rises way higher than you'd expect after you drop the food in. Probably a good idea to set it up in the grass or dirt away from structures or other combustibles.

If you end up with a fire, water will spread it around and do nothing to help put it out. There's class K fire extinguishers now, if you cook with gas/ fire and oil or shortening, you should get one. There's ones that look like a regular aerosol can for pretty cheap.

Yeah those deep fryers can really turn bad in a hurry. I love mine though. I have two. Someone gave me one after they tried it once. I use one for corn mostly and the other as a fryer. The corn one also doubles as the hot water for washing dishes when we’re camping.
The griddle is working out great. In fact I had some friends over who own the property where we camp today. They were very impressed with it and said they were going to buy one. I offered to help and he said sure. I then pointed to a box in the garage. I had bought a second one as a gift for them since we’ve been using his place for almost 15 years at no charge.

Back