SE Arizona camp/hike trip...I are back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all. I appreciate your patience with the number of pictures, I know I sometimes go overboard on that.

No overboard at ALL.
I enjoy them so much.

The Cactus flower pictures made me remember when I first came West.
I Hitchhiked from New York airport to Arcata California.

I had met a biologist from HSU and travelled with him for about ½ a year in Greece and the Middle East.
So my first thing to do in the US was to visit him.
Almost as soon as I walked in his front door, he told me that I'd have to go to the Mojave Desert straight away.
They had a heavy rainfall for the first time in something like a decade and a half.
I went down there and saw the desert in full bloom.
It is a fantastic thing, and only lasts like the blink of an eye.

Being the lucky son of a bitch that I am, I experienced the same thing in the Negev desert in Israel 5 years before.

Went down there with the woman who was later to become "The mail order bride".
Got rained out like you wouldn't believe.
Flash floods galore.

But afterwards, the desert came alive.

So I have had that twice, and it has been a spectacular experience both times.

Sorry for the hi-jack, Burnham.

No worries, Stig. If there's anything we'll tolerate here, it's hijacked threads and wandering off topic :D.

M and I have been pretty lucky too. The spring a few years back that we spent in the deep southeastern CA desert was also a fine flower year for the cactus and wildflowers, but just there from a bit south of the Mexico border up to Death Valley. It truly is a marvel, when it happens.

More pictures might break the interwebs...but perhaps...;). I'll look at the files again :).

A few more, for the die-hards :).

The rainbow shot is at Big Morongo Canyon, Stig...site of your vermillion flycatcher saga. Before that, Rainbow Canyon, north of Bishop, CA.

The rest are in the Catalina Mountains north of Tucson. In the mix, some fairly out of the ordinary free flowing surface water shots, for that climate.

Attachments

• Arizona Spring 2019 034.jpg
    Arizona Spring 2019 034.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Arizona Spring 2019 036.jpg
    Arizona Spring 2019 036.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Arizona Spring 2019 087.jpg
    Arizona Spring 2019 087.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Arizona Spring 2019 128.jpg
    Arizona Spring 2019 128.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Arizona Spring 2019 136.jpg
    Arizona Spring 2019 136.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Arizona Spring 2019 140.jpg
    Arizona Spring 2019 140.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Arizona Spring 2019 146.jpg
    Arizona Spring 2019 146.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Arizona Spring 2019 158.jpg
    Arizona Spring 2019 158.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Arizona Spring 2019 175.jpg
    Arizona Spring 2019 175.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Arizona Spring 2019 181.jpg
    Arizona Spring 2019 181.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Arizona Spring 2019 203.jpg
    Arizona Spring 2019 203.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 29
It both is and isn't to my mind and experience with horses, Butch.

Many of the trails are horribly rocky and uneven, requiring a horse and rider to negotiate ledges, both up and along, with multiple high steps and much high exposure to cliff edges. Any horse that is the slightest bit sketchy temperament-wise can get in a bad situation in a hurry. Even if you manage to stay on the trail, every darn plant seems to be full of nasty thorns or spines.

Even down in the flatter parts of the desert, the hazards from cactus spines mean the rider must wear heavy leather or armored nylon chaps, in addition to sturdy boots. Stirrups have to be of the enclosed style. Almost every horse or mule I encountered on the trails showed some scarring on the lower chest and the fronts of all four legs. I saw one riding mule easing along in no apparent distress, with 15 or 20 long cholla spines sticking out of her left rear thigh. Situation normal, I suppose. And to be able to keep a horse or mule watered can be a real challenge in that country. This is a particular and potentially dangerous problem, for sure.

On the other hand, the ability to carry several gallons of water on a horse vs. a few liters for a hiker is a great safety advantage. To be comfortable with 20 or 30 miles of trail ahead, rather than the 8 or 10 that hits my easy day hike limit opens up enormous territory for exploration. For a rider, sitting up high sure gives a better view.

Like the tent vs. RV discussion...pros and cons, pluses and minuses on both sides.

I so need to go back there.

I understand, Stig. I have something of a love/hate relationship with the desert. I find it fascinating and beautiful. Also at times scary and intimidating. Almost always it has a harsh edge that must be negotiated carefully. I'd NEVER choose to live there, but I'd not want to miss out on visits from time to time.

Yep.
Sure footed, hardy and no more stubborn that the Irish cob, we have now.
Great animals.
I rode them quite a bit in Idaho and used them as pack animals, too.

Totally new experience for me, you hardly see them in my end of the world.

Back