Dot and CDL stuff

Tree09

Treehouser
I searched for some threads on this here, and am not aware of any yet, which is kinda surprising if that's the case. Anyways rules continuously change, so maybe it will be worthwhile. As I'm sure you all know, i got a new dually last year, and i have a handful of trailers too. The truck has a gvw of 14000 pounds, which means any trailer 12k on up i actually need a class a license now (from my understanding). So I started looking into this more and am now more confused than when i started lol.

If i start doing trees again, that would be considered commerce, so by my understanding i might also need a dot number as well. Pipeline welding rigs are exempt from this due to the fast act (i do know that), but even driving my truck to go pick up something i might buy from an auction out of state would squarely put me into possible motor carrier status, so i might one of those too? :lol: Would i also need a fuel tax thing too? What do you guys have for all of this running the larger trucks and stuff, and how much does all this crap cost? What if you cross state lines? Do i need a different form of truck insurance? What's involved with inspections and such?

I'm all for going and getting my cdl, and would be taking it with a manual transmission air brake truck and trailer, which means I'll actually be able to start running my crane truck, which would make me doing trees dramatically more profitable when i do them. This would also open the door to me acquiring more equipment and operating vehicles and trailers that would make me much more effective and profitable with all of my efforts. I know this will take some coin to do, but it is still cheaper than the dot having their way with me. However everytime I try to look something up about this correct and/or consistent information seems impossible to find, and everyone i ask that i know personally also are all saying different things. I've read that once you get a dot or mc number they can come do inspections at your house (i don't have a business address), which could greatly suck. Help please, because the information out there is very overwhelming, and I'm completely lost.

Kyle, who told you doing trees would be considered commerce?

Go straight to the source, go to your local DMV. Ask them in person because like you said, every state is different. I don't have to mess with DOT with our trucks, as far as registering them, but you might. I mean, they can inspect them because they are commercial, but that is not a big deal. If everything is in order, you are on your way down the road, if not you probably don't want to be on the road. DMV will tell you about insurance requirements as well.

Fuel tax? Never heard of it for our trucks unless it is rolled into getting a tag.

Inspections, Florida does require that anymore, but like I said DOT can inspect when they want.

Me thinks you are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I very well might be, but then again i will be squarely into cdl territory with the associated fines if I'm not doing it right. I plan on pulling trailers up to 30 k, and running a tandem axle crane truck. This is very new to me, but I've seen half ton trucks and even suvs with dot numbers and the like. I know every state is different, but tree work i would imagine is likely lumped in with logging regulations. I'll hit up the dmv tho, funny i didn't even think of that lol.

Kyle I think rules have changed on DOT numbers lately. If you’re crossing state lines they are required. If not your state may require a PUCO (O is for Ohio) number. We have a DOT number because we cross into PA a few times a year. One number covers every vehicle in our fleet. It’s even on the dumbass Toyota Yaris car and it’s just for transporting guys to training classes and such. They were leaving pick ups alone but the hot-shotting has brought them into their radar. The way I interpret the law is that any single vehicle or combination vehicle that have a combined gvw over 26,000 requires a class A. That’s how I’m looking at it and it makes me safe. As to vehicle inspections, I have no idea. Only time I’ve had them done is when they pulled me over. Never in 20 years between trees and construction have they showed up at a shop to inspect anything. Well there was once and that was because a fired employee called in saying we were running off road diesel in the trucks. He also called OSHA and the labor board. Check with the DMV and they should be able to give you answers.

In Wisco any vehicle that is involved with a business needs a DOT # inter or intra state commerce. Interstate commerce is subject to any and all CDL regs ,med cards for example, even tho a vehicle or combination is under 26,001lbs. Intrastate commerce is much more forgiving no med cards. 26,001 lbs is CDL single or combination. My f450 (16k) plus a 10k trailer is not CDL by one pound. Inspection must be done annually by a licensed shop and the inspection report must accompany the vehicle with any and all repairs to make it compliant.

Difference between a and b is trailer weight. Over 10,000 is Class A, provided combo is over 26,000.

So I'm definitely in cdl land, and I already have a med card from work last year (required for company trucks). I'll check on the dot number thing, but that can wait till i get the cdl. Thx guys, anything else you can think of please let me know hahahahaha.

Flushcut was dead on. We're running 33,000 & 60,000 GVW on our straight trucks. Haven't painted & lettered up the bucket truck yet, but I'm guessing 26,000-30,000 on it. Technically the chipper is not a trailer, it is a piece of equipment, so it doesn't need to be tagged or registered or inspected, even our monster 8,000 lb. Vermeer! We all cross state lines into Missouri at least a few times a year, so that's interstate and requires medical cards and would imply fuel tax for Missouri when we cross the river. We've been road side inspected 2x in state and cited for being overweight in the chip truck -- one time was especially painful because it was literally right in front of the chip dump!

And Rich is right -- due to all the hotshot dually pickups with cargo trailers, they are on the DOT radar in a big way.

Yup. They are picking on F350s and 450s now with stock trailers and horse trailers. If it looks big enough to be a class A, pulled over. They just figure you are going out of state to sell, prove them wrong.

That's my fear, now that i have a new (heavier gvw from the old ones) dually, simple jobs like running a trailer to pick something up now becomes a cdl headache, so might as well go all in. Will definitely be better in the long run, just gotta get educated and over the hump. Thx guys

Flushcut was dead on. We're running 33,000 & 60,000 GVW on our straight trucks. Haven't painted & lettered up the bucket truck yet, but I'm guessing 26,000-30,000 on it. Technically the chipper is not a trailer, it is a piece of equipment, so it doesn't need to be tagged or registered or inspected, even our monster 8,000 lb. Vermeer! We all cross state lines into Missouri at least a few times a year, so that's interstate and requires medical cards and would imply fuel tax for Missouri when we cross the river. We've been road side inspected 2x in state and cited for being overweight in the chip truck -- one time was especially painful because it was literally right in front of the chip dump!

And Rich is right -- due to all the hotshot dually pickups with cargo trailers, they are on the DOT radar in a big way.

Here the chipper needs a plate, any towed "thing" trailer or chipper or air compressor over 3000lbs needs plates and breaks of it's own. The chipper is not considered a trailer it is a green waste recycling device for the manufacture of wood chips and the plate is $26 regardless of it's weight. You can surely plate is as a trailer but the dollar amount increases greatly. You'll get a additional sticker that says "restricted use" but that just means you can't strap things to it like ladders, wheel barrows, and whatnot. Plus the chipper does need to be inspected here in Wisco to make sure the breaks, running gear, and lights are up to snuff. All the lights must work and function properly even that lame ass little license plate cock sucker, it's a $117 ticket if it is not working. I found that out.

In Ohio it’s no plates on equipment like a chipper but there is still a weight. We have 3 chippers over 10k. Makes them class A. Still kind of a grey area to me because anyone with a one ton pick up can rent a 14k dump trailer and be ok according to the rental yards.

One thing that has always bothered me is motorhomes. My wife,who thinks her suburban is a big vehicle can legally drive one plus tow a trailer without any special license. Drives me insane. They’re always messing up my gas station because they can’t figure out how to get to the pump and when they do, they’re on the wrong side

You will need to background check yourself and employment verify yourself as well as joining a drug testing consortium. May as well be as big as Swift trucking

Oh yes, the medical card: DOT physical (some chiropractors offer it, as do emergency medical places). Then, schedule a "pee in a cup" drug test at a certified testing facility/office.

How do you background and employment verify? What does the employment verify even mean?

Back