What saw should I get to replace the Stihl 200T?

Ive been running the t540 for a few years. It's got plenty of snort and has been pretty reliable. Had the fuel tank vent tsb done right after I bought it but other than that no issues. It's definitely a saw that likes to high idle for a minute when cold starting. The autotune isn't the best on the one I have (2014 model) but I believe they've redesigned a few thing on the saw, now the t540xp ii. I'd be interested in trying one.
Ergonomics are the best I've tried. The fixed saddle attachment ring is the jam. The build quality seems great. But damn is it a complicated little bigger to work on. You have to take a good bit of the saw apart to squeeze the muffler out.
Honestly when this one goes I'll have a hard time justifying the extra cost over the echo. The modded echo is really that good. It's so easy to open up the muffler, you only are modifying the baffle so it would be super easy to put it back to stock for warranty work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Our new T540XP cuts like a rabid beaver. The climbers now favor it over a 200T, but maybe it's the "newness" factor of playing with a new toy. But they have no complaints about its power in big wood -- 16" bar. Seems anecdotally comparable to the 200T in terms of power. Specs show it is a smidge more powerful than a stock 200T at 37cc.

Thanks for chiming in Stump. I'm leaning towards trying one. I just talked to Husky and they said it has a WALBRO carb (AT-11). So, that's a huge plus in my mind... I've had nothing but problems with ZAMA... I watched a comparison video on youtube with a 201T. Looks like the T540XP cuts at least as fast, sometimes faster. Comes with different sized handles too. I also watched an 'unboxing' video of the saw on youtube and I'm pretty impressed with what I saw... Looks like the air filtration might be a little better too...

I bought a couple 540s in.... 2016 I think it was. One sucked, one sucked hard. One was stolen, one sits in the shop.

Bought a MS201 last year (not sure what suffixes on the end), it does great. If I were to buy another top handled saw, I'd stick with the 201.

Shoot, sometimes you do get a lemon with any brand. I had a 192T that was a lemon. Stihl wouldn't make it right for me either. I really wanted my money back...

I'm looking at the new T540 XP® II. I wonder if it might have some improvements over a 2016 model?

Yeah, all the Stihls are very sensitive about a dirty air filter. I've lost all power several times. To answer your question, the dealer was Buck's saw shop in Novato, CA. They sell Stihl, Husky, Echo, and probably a few others too... They're a good saw shop, but I usually take what they say with a grain of salt...

What do you know or have you heard about the T540 with autotune? Looks like the price is pretty close to the 201T...

I work on my own stuff for one and the 540 is a pita. I had demoed a 540 from my local dealer and I was pizzed I sold my muffler modded 338's.
I had owned a 200T etc too.

You couldnt give me a 540. JMO

I have seen them FS local in the 200-250 range and I just bypass them.

I work on my own stuff for one and the 540 is a pita. I had demoed a 540 from my local dealer and I was pizzed I sold my muffler modded 338's.
I had owned a 200T etc too.

You couldnt give me a 540. JMO

I have seen them FS local in the 200-250 range and I just bypass them.

I do all my own maintenance also. Was the T540 that you demo'd, a mark II with auto tune?

We're faced with this very question, as our main 200T is leaning out and showing other aging symptoms. Our 201T is a joke, in the shop for the 3rd time (recently), thinking of trading it in. Our T540XP is doing well for us so far. So we may get a 2nd 540 or else look at the 201TC to keep our mixed bag of Stihl & Husqy stuff rolling.
Most likely if that 200 is leaning out it's caused by funky seal caused by funky bearings .Both bearings and two new seals used to be around 60 bucks from a dealer .If nothing else change the chain side seal which is relatively easy to do .Cost you about 10 bucks at a dealer or you could find them on flea bay often .

In answer to the op, the two realistic replacements for the 200t are, as others have said, the 201 and 540.

The 540 is a very powerful saw, but fragile IME, I had one and apart from some breakage, largely due to heavy handed operation it was very nice, I’d happily have another.

I plumped for a 201, my third and my 9th Stihl topper, tough, reliable and poky.

Unless you’re unlucky, either would put a smile on your face.

Do you mean: " Do they go to the same bars and drink beer together or can you hang both on your harness at the same time?"

My English must be slipping, again.

Not imo.

I’ve a husky battery saw, excellent for prunes etc. but lacking a bit for takedowns, especially of hardwoods.
Makes flush cutting branches an ordeal to avoid snagging rigging.

I do all my own maintenance also. Was the T540 that you demo'd, a mark II with auto tune?

Dont know about the mark II part but I thought all T540 were autotune in US. One I ran was April 2014.
I wasnt the only guy to notice this in 2014. A tree company owner in Calif noticed it too and said so before my post.
Then 8 months later nov 2014 he tried another one = Ran a well broken in T540 today and it ran quite well. Perhaps a bit more torque than the 201.

Thread and I was biting at bit waiting. Was just a let down for me. http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/husqvarna/husqvarna-t540xp-demo/

What I said right after running. = just ran one today too. Not impressed. Heavier then the 338 and 540 had techlite bar. Not near the power in the cut of my well broken in 200. Also felt heavy in the rear 1 handing with 16" techlite. No where near the balance of the 338 IMO and not as balanced as the 200 was. All JMO. Wish I would have kept 1 of the 338's before selling them both.

Yes I know 1 handing is voodoo and unsafe. ;)

That is such a cool pic boss, and I would feel honored that lesser beings used my pic in a safety seminar :lol:

I still say the one on the left is what not to do, the one on the right is what to do. At least, that's how I would take it! I mean, how can they fault you? I see a lifeline and lots of PPE going on there. Maybe they think you should have been carrying a portable fire extinguisher in case you caught yourself on fire with the cig...

What I said right after running. = just ran one today too. Not impressed. Heavier then the 338 and 540 had techlite bar. Not near the power in the cut of my well broken in 200. Also felt heavy in the rear 1 handing with 16" techlite. No where near the balance of the 338 IMO and not as balanced as the 200 was. All JMO. Wish I would have kept 1 of the 338's before selling them both.

I still have 4 338's, all muff modded. They all work fairly well. Pat's 201TC's are strong. I also run muff modded 192T's, which really perks them up. After several years, the older 192 is no longer a consistent runner. Mind you, I am not working every day these days.

I'm loving my electric Husky top-handle saw. For basic pruning, its the chit. Battery lasts all day, 2 to 3 times longer than a tank of gas in the 201.

Back