What saw should I get to replace the Stihl 200T?

RANCHER

Treehouser
I lost my 200T in the Santa Rosa fires. What's the best replacement nowadays? I've heard bad things about the 201T...

Those are a thing of the past.
Stihl frigged up. Dealt with it really badly.
It'll never quite go away, too many pissed off people for good reason, but the T201 is a fine saw today.

I've heard the mtronic 201tc is a good saw. The earlier 201t was a dud.
Hearing good stuff about Echo 355T too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Those are a thing of the past.
Stihl frigged up. Dealt with it really badly.
It'll never quite go away, too many pissed off people for good reason, but the T201 is a fine saw today.

Yep, they sure did... At first I was hearing bad things about the 201T. But, now they're okay? Are they using Zama carbs? I much prefer Walbro.

Thanks for the reply Jonny. I wonder if anyone out there who is using the Echo 355T can chime in and tell me what they think of it. I am looking at it.. What are you using to take the place of the 200T??

My local saw shop says the Echo 355T is not as powerful as the 201T. Any comments about that?

Someone told me their stock Echo 355t is much weaker or slower than their 192/3. I didn't beleive them cuz I have a new 355t and it cut pretty quick, way stronger than a ported 2511t, but then I rarely run a 193.

I think I got around a 12.5% gain after drilling a 3/8" hole in the muffler, spark screen still attached.

I'm interested in saws that replace the 200T. I had a 192T and it sucked. Underpowered and had carb problems often... I'll never buy another
one. But, that's interesting that you seem to like your 355T.

Thanks for the reply Jonny. I wonder if anyone out there who is using the Echo 355T can chime in and tell me what they think of it. I am looking at it.. What are you using to take the place of the 200T??

My 200T is still running strong. Also have a 192TC that I really like.
If my 200T died tomorrow I'd probably get the 201TC Mtronic. Probably ... The Echo 355T isn't out of the question for me.

The 201tc isn't too bad. It's no 200 but it starts easier than my t540 husky. The air filter isn't great from what I've seen. Honestly the best bang for the buck is a 355t with a muffler mod. Runs out great and half the price of the euro competition. Unfortunately certain on parts for the 200t seem to be drying up. I still miss that sound though...

It is hard to argue with half the price, and 1 year commercial warranty. You could buy 2! Or a 2511t to go with it.

We're faced with this very question, as our main 200T is leaning out and showing other aging symptoms. Our 201T is a joke, in the shop for the 3rd time (recently), thinking of trading it in. Our T540XP is doing well for us so far. So we may get a 2nd 540 or else look at the 201TC to keep our mixed bag of Stihl & Husqy stuff rolling.

My local saw shop says the Echo 355T is not as powerful as the 201T. Any comments about that?

I forgot to ask, which saw shop said this? Stihl dealer, Echo dealer, general repair shop that favors Stihl?

I remember Mastermind did a video comparison of a modified 355t against a modified 200t. Both are difficult to modify very much, if it's even possible, so mods were a minimum, and the 200t may have had a compression increase advantage. 200t averaged 1/2 to 1 second faster than the 355t.

Keep your air filter clean too, that's where you can loose power.

I know a guy that just bought both new 355 201. Both not broke in. He said the 201 had noticeable more grunt in the cut.

But then look at this. You can buy 2 355 for cost of 1 201. 355 has a regular carb and the 201 has mtronic now. So right there I know what I would pick for my uses. 355

I forgot to ask, which saw shop said this? Stihl dealer, Echo dealer, general repair shop that favors Stihl?

I remember Mastermind did a video comparison of a modified 355t against a modified 200t. Both are difficult to modify very much, if it's even possible, so mods were a minimum, and the 200t may have had a compression increase advantage. 200t averaged 1/2 to 1 second faster than the 355t.

Keep your air filter clean too, that's where you can loose power.

Yeah, all the Stihls are very sensitive about a dirty air filter. I've lost all power several times. To answer your question, the dealer was Buck's saw shop in Novato, CA. They sell Stihl, Husky, Echo, and probably a few others too... They're a good saw shop, but I usually take what they say with a grain of salt...

I know a guy that just bought both new 355 201. Both not broke in. He said the 201 had noticeable more grunt in the cut.

But then look at this. You can buy 2 355 for cost of 1 201. 355 has a regular carb and the 201 has mtronic now. So right there I know what I would pick for my uses. 355

What do you know or have you heard about the T540 with autotune? Looks like the price is pretty close to the 201T...

Our new T540XP cuts like a rabid beaver. The climbers now favor it over a 200T, but maybe it's the "newness" factor of playing with a new toy. But they have no complaints about its power in big wood -- 16" bar. Seems anecdotally comparable to the 200T in terms of power. Specs show it is a smidge more powerful than a stock 200T at 37cc.

Back