Singing Tree Quickie, with a tied termination?

SeanKroll

Treehouser
My regular climb-lines are not spliced. How does this work with a knot, and what works best? I'm used to a scaffold on a biner, but this causes too much cinching, if I can't slip off the end of the keylock biner's nose.

Seems like the rope needs to squeeze the Quickie a bit to keep orientation. A secured Bowline would not seem to work.

My regular climb-lines are not spliced.
Standard here is eye splices on both ends of climb lines (DdRT/MRS). Roll it up opposite ways on alternating climbs, to as to not create a favored side or influence rope memory, and to keep wear even.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

Are slick-pins sold separately, on case of loss/ becoming sticky from pitch or grit?

I think I'm going to grab one.

Saw there's a new one, the Notch V3. Looks nice and price is right. Maybe I'll get one now, the old cast one looked like crap and the milled one I didn't like the price lol.

I'd be using it with DFL/ scaffold hitch too, no spliced climbing line here either.

I believe the quickie comes with a slic pin...

And I've been using the milled "sharp" one for about a year and I see no wear...

I converted too... i used to choke the biner but got heckled on FB a few times so figure I'd do what the safe kids are doing...

You'll want a thinner line to fit through the slic pin opened but not out... 11mm fits... not sure of 1/2 inch...

It's actually pretty trick... even with the quickie on the knot with pin opened I can advance/throw my line up in the tree... watch your teeth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

And I've been using the milled "sharp" one for about a year and I see no wear...

I converted too... i used to choke the biner but got heckled on FB a few times so figure I'd do what the safe kids are doing...

You'll want a thinner line to fit through the slic pin opened but not out... 11mm fits... not sure of 1/2 inch...

It's actually pretty trick... even with the quickie on the knot with pin opened I can advance/throw my line up in the tree... watch your teeth.

Good thing...you're ALWAYS hearing about those fallen climbers from crossloading a biner...oh, wait a minute...

I like a heavy steel biner for advancing purposes, and I can't really think I'll damage the steel spine. Gate maybe a bit, but so far, so good.

Haha, good grief I got a right slagging for posting that clinched biner pic, funny how the elite are keeping quiet on the side loading break video;)

Yes....they were anyway. (TS)

I had a look at TreeStuff and I found the slic pins for the Rope Wrench and for the Rope Runner but not for the Quickie. As stated at the end of the description of the Quickie, its slic pin is different from the RR one.

Thank You Master!
A short presentation: I'm french leaving at the border with Germany. I am a recreational climber, interested in technical matters. I went through most of the climbing techniques used in caving as well as the arborist ones... At least starting with DdRT with prussiks. I am now using mostly SRT with RW, foot and knee ascenders and I love it.
On your forum, I enjoy all the technical discussions, the animated GIFs, the Horrible dog attacks and, being a convinced atheist, the religion thread...
Take care - Serge.

Merci pour votre accueil (thanks for welcoming me) Tree09, SeanKroll and Bodean!

Back