An easy one

RegC

TreeHouser
Simple fir take down from yesterday. House, wires and septic field to watch for, but not a worry

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tCkGdfUAT2M" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Simple? I ain't even gonna look!!!

:P

I always hated spurring up a pole with a climbline hanging like that... unless I was being pulled. On my own, I like to clip it on the back of my saddle, out of my way.

Nice and smooth. Really like the slow motion fall of the spar. I kept thinking “it’s a creeping forward a little at a time”. Did one battery do all the limbs plus a bit of the spar?

Nice work Reg. Quick, easy way to climb back up the spar like that and have your line self-tend. Gotta love SRT!

Quick question. Any reason for the conventional felling notch instead of the Humboldt that seems to be the preference on the West Coast?

Thanks for continuing making the videos!

That's how I often roll. You can spur up lighter, when you are not depending on each spur for everything. Less to jam in, less to pull out. I see people jam spurs in hard when they only have one point of contact to prevent falling.

In the event of an emergency, you're ready to hit the deck, pronto. Almost every tree is out of ladder-truck range around here. Your chance of rescue from 100' is about zero.

Rope is already in place.

Easy not to spur a rope. I don't really even lift my spurs much, if at all, just mostly drag them up the tree, against the bark, feeling with my foot. I often run the rope on top of one foot, rather than between. Really, really easy to not spur the rope.

Nice and smooth.

Were you bridging the drain-field?

Butch,

He had already been up top and tied off the rope for descent. Going back up you clip whatever SRT devise you have o the chest harness and plod on up.

On narrower stems you can just free climb and if you were to gaff out then the hitch and RW (in Reg’s case) will just catch you.

I realize he'd already used the rope for descending - cool. I'm saying it serves of no use to me to get me back up there. Gaffing out has nothing to do with it, for me. That's what my lanyard is for.

I really liked the slo mo in the beginning during the notching, Smooth Sir. Smooth.

Made me wonder what the idea is with moving the saw back and forth like that in a non-binding cut.

Why not just dog in and finish your cut?

I saw the saw around sometimes subconsciously on non-binding situations. Used to a saw needing some sawing action (Silky, bow saw, carpenter saws).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice work Reg. Quick, easy way to climb back up the spar like that and have your line self-tend. Gotta love SRT!

Quick question. Any reason for the conventional felling notch instead of the Humboldt that seems to be the preference on the West Coast?

Thanks for continuing making the videos!

No reason, Chris. Didnt even think about it

Made me wonder what the idea is with moving the saw back and forth like that in a non-binding cut.

Why not just dog in and finish your cut?

I filed the rakers a little more than I should've. Thats a 32 inch bar on a 372, so itll grab all too easy. Itll be fine after the next aharpen. In real time thats probably a 2 second clip. Doesnt mean alot.

But, WHY? What function did the rope provide?

Not a significant purpose other than it was already set. Much like if Im already working up in a tree I wouldn't unclip my climbline through parts of the job because I have a flipline at hand instead. If it slowed me up significantly then Id take it off definitely. But 110ft in a minute and a half is reasonable progress I think

Makes sense.
It was just the logger in me that spoke up, no offence intended.

I'm so used to teaching apprentices not to do anything unneccesary, because it'll will keep them from earning money when logging to scale, so when I see something like that, I can't help but notice.

Spend your life nitpicking, you turn into a habitual nitpicker.

I wouldn't take offense Stig. It is funny the things that you notice in slow motion.

Hey Sean. Sorry I missed your question earlier. The septic field was more to the right of screen. Just wanted to keep the log elevated for easy sawing. Without putting any huge effort into an elaborate log pile

Thanks for answering Sean’s question. I’m assuming they wanted to keep the firewood. I’ll keep that in my tool box of ideas.

Back