Rope to restrain PEOPLE

pantheraba

More biners!!!
Tree guys are all about control...we use ropes and gear to create situations where we can minimize danger as we control dangerous limbs and loads.

We usually have the luxury of time to study, rig and control danger. Our use of rope becomes 2nd nature.

Law enforcement folks deal with danger often, too...but they usually have only options of (empty) hands on a perpetrator or a firearm to control a bad situation...and time to make decisions is short compared to us.

I have long wondered why law enforcement does not use rope (2 men, one 20-30 foot rope) to subdue bad guys (or mental patients) armed with knives or sticks...but it would probably take too much training to make it efficient.

This new tool for LEO's is awesome...based upon the bolo. A long overdue tool that spans the gap from lethal to non-lethal reaction.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5SywpLbxAYs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In one clip it looked to have a two pronged "U" termination that probably hooked into clothing...done on bare skin it might puncture a bit..less than a bullet, though.

OK...you got me curious...I just found their spec sheet...it shows what I thought I saw:

BolaWrap100.SpecsSheet cropped_Page_2.jpg

If they could add friction to the string preferably using micro barbs or similar, that would help lock it in place as it could stick firmly to clothing and itself.

My first thought when I saw the thread title was duct tape, a tarp, shovel, rubber gloves, bleach, lime... etc.

Tasers have a high failure rate Mick and guys they fail on usually need to be shot next. I would have no problem with cops going straight to guns but....you know....Stig and all. :)

I saw this device a couple of weeks ago and looked it up. Looks like intended sales will be to law enforcement etc. I hope it becomes available to the civilian market. Some people would like to avoid dying and be willing to pay for and carry a device that could aid in that.

My first thought when I saw this thread was using climbing rope to keep people out of the work zone.

Tasers have a high failure rate Mick and guys they fail on usually need to be shot next. I would have no problem with cops going straight to guns but....you know....Stig and all. :)

I saw this device a couple of weeks ago and looked it up. Looks like intended sales will be to law enforcement etc. I hope it becomes available to the civilian market. Some people would like to avoid dying and be willing to pay for and carry a device that could aid in that.

Just on the news, a rookie cop accidentally pulled a gun when intending to reach for a taser

How to tie up people

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0yfFo0-1u1M" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I love the demonstration at 10:00 -- the constrictor knot. Makes you wonder how he manages to get away with it these days, but still fun nonetheless. The double bowline twirly ride at 8:35 is a hoot, too.

I’ll take your word for it, but tasers have failed how?

They often fail to subdue a person when intended - that's how they fail. And it is important to know that with regard to the police a Taser is a specific tool that shoots out two probes that stick into a persons flesh and then the electrical charge is carried through the two wires trailing behind the barbs and still attached to the Taser. I think the charge is delivered as long as they hold the trigger and they can re-shock a person multiple times if desired.

Some causes for failure to work are a missed shot or connection with barbs, too thick of clothing to penetrate through, some people seem to not be effected as much or at all by the procedure, and some seem to be able to function well enough to jerk the wires out of their flesh. If I understand correctly the police carry one more cartridge so they can attempt a 2nd shot if they have time.

The device in the amusing video Mick put up is a stun gun not a Taser. Oh, and a Taser can be just held against a persons flesh and triggered. I think the police call that 'dry stunning.'

https://youtu.be/6yaie4bzsFI Short video.

https://youtu.be/N1kW2Wujb4k Longer video.

Yup, no cartridge needed. The MPs and USAF security forces at Camp Bucca would keep the cartridge off when moving a detainee by truck. It works with direct contact like a stun gun if you don't use the cartridge.

Back