Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Liability

Don’t do it.
    Iím condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

Not worth it. They can teach themselves tennex is not rocket science.

TreeHouser Sponsor

I have been splicing for years. You say you have also. Nothing wrong with the splice, it's just the use of that splice.
    Best splice on earth can't overcome misuse. THAT is when the lawyers get involved. Guy takes your spliced product and overloads it or cuts it, or whatever, then makes a claim. The insurance does the blame game and searches up and down for pockets to raid.
    I only splice for myself because of this

Perhaps you could get paid to put on a rigging workshop where you can demo some gear? Try and get the company to invest in more rigging gear.

I have customers all the time ask me if I have any old rope(s) I'd sell (or give) them for whatever....tie-downs/livestock leads/etc....I NEVER have rope to give or sell. No telling what they'll do with it. I'd apply the same logic to splicing. Just my $.02.
    "Honor is what no man can give you...and none can take away. Honor is a man's gift to himself."

-Rob Roy McGregor

TreeHouser Sponsor

A landscaper asked me too a couple times for an used climbing rope. You know, for the easy pruning...
    I said yes to keep him happy, but each time I "forgot" to do it.

TreeHouser

Quote Originally Posted by treebilly View Post
    Also the company he works for supplies a very minimal amount of gear and says that all gear must be company supplied. The GF tells them they can bring in extra, just donít get caught by the higher ups.
    It seems funny to me that this GF is asking his subordinates to disobey a direct order from the people who outrank him higher up in the organization. He should instead ask the higher-ups what the reason for the rule is, and explain that to his subordinates. The company should have to live with the results, and then change the rules if needed. If the line worker does not like the rules, because they seem to make his life a whole lot more difficult, he should start looking for another company to work for that provides more and better gear.

The GF is breeding a disrespect for the leadership at the top. If the leadership is a bunch of pinheads, they deserve to suffer the results of their stupid decisions. Just my opinion.

One last thing is that maybe you could teach a man to fish, instead of giving him a fish. See if you two can make time to teach him how to splice his own stuff. He'll appreciate what you've done for him for the rest of his life, and he'll think of you every time he makes his next splice.

Student of the Jedi Sponsor treebilly's Avatar

This is what I was thinking of doing. I have the splicing manual and tools. Granted it’s a basic kit that I don’t use anyhow. Figured I could lend him the stuff and walk him through it.

I get the companies policy. I also know that he works for one of the biggest companies there is. They are still in the belief that all anyone needs is a rope and a saw. Minimum required ppe, a pair of saws and a few ropes for rigging. Now this might not be company wide, but it’s what I’ve heard from many of their employees in my area. Not saying that the work needs every new fancy tool, but options are nice. I can rig down a spar with just a rope but a block sure makes things nice. They have a block and a porty but no slings and aren’t allowed to cut a rope to tie them on with so they are using broken pieces for that. This is one of the reasons that I will hit rock bottom before ever being employed by these guys.
    -Rich

Sorry... I stopped at employees asking employees to make gear to get the company's jobs done....

How come they don't provide whatever you?

TreeHouser Sponsor

A part of being in a protected position to splice for others after being certified will be being insured specifically for that. Look into that and purchased splices will now seem cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree09 View Post
    Why would you delete the thread?
    Everything you say or write can be used against you in a court of law if it comes to that. Listen to how far back they are searching internet records for the person accused of this crime or that.

Some searches are hard and take a lot, some could be done by a teenager in half an hour. Injury lawyers would have a field day with a lot of what is written here if one of us were involved in some bad situation.