Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chipper question...

Yup. They make actual stethoscope kinds too, and are cheap enough to justify having. Good for all sorts of diagnosing tasks.
    Kyle

I had a similar issue with one of mine, I just ignored it, nothing happened,it was normal.

Hydraulic motors are very durable, I’ve never had one let go.
    Iím condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

Yes , with Mick

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Well they do go out at times that's for certain. I've had a couple go and being around machinery lots I've seen/heard of it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tree09 View Post
    Yup. They make actual stethoscope kinds too, and are cheap enough to justify having. Good for all sorts of diagnosing tasks.
    I picked up one of these cheap like $10 at Napa in the bargain. Well worth picking up as Kyle said.

Quote Originally Posted by squisher View Post
    Well they do go out at times that's for certain. I've had a couple go and being around machinery lots I've seen/heard of it many times.
    Fair enough, in Bermy’s situation what would you do? I had the same on a chipper a couple years back, Ed (Thor’s Hammer) late of this parish said to turn the rollers to top speed to ensure the oil flowed as quickly as poss.

The oil can get hot, it’s not an issue.

(Interested to be schooled on this by the experts, not a hill I want to die on you understand)

Mick

IMO if it is going bad run it until the bitter end you are going to have to replace it anyways so why not make a few more dollars first.

Agreed, it’s not like a flywheel bearing that can create Armageddon.

Mick

THE CALM ONE!!!! Sponsor squisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skwerl2 View Post
    I am guessing the hydraulic motor is going out. Most of them are fairly standard, most chipper manufacturers do not design and make custom hydraulic motors so you should be able to find one 'on the shelf' somewhere.

I would not do anything with it yet, just know it is wearing out. I would begin researching it and trying to source a replacement, either new or rebuilt. Or even a local shop that rebuilds hydraulic motors. Do your homework now so that when it does eventually quit working you can replace it and get back to work quickly and cheaply.
    Brian nailed the best course of action IMO. But I agree they can get quite hot just during normal operation. Better if you have more than one hydro motor running on the same fluid so you can compare. I'd zap it with a infrared thermometer and see just how hot it's getting and check it now and then if it was concerning to me. I've noticed a infrared thermometer is how all of the drive motors at the mill are checked, quite regularly, I suspect daily from the amount of times I've seen a millwright doing it at my work station/machine.

TreeHouser Sponsor

To answer your question about how long a chipper should be able to run and not be too hot Fiona it is continually. Well, with shut downs for grease at 8 hrs or whatever your manual says and refueling.

Too hot to touch on bearings would be indicative of problems coming on my chippers but there may be a possible exception if a hydro motor was closely attached to it and especially if in really hot weather. I would try to ascertain where most heat comes from by touch.

Listening trick sounds good, and getting a bearing or motor sourced before failure - if it ever fails.

A point of interest is that some bearings are made to take excess grease and let it flow through purging the old grease, while some are sealed and only meant to take a little as replacement for a small amount that weeps out. (If I understand the difference correctly. )