Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chipper question...

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

Default Chipper question...

I know its not a chainsaw, but still machinery...

We have been running the chipper quite a bit lately, for a good few hrs at a time. Yesterday at shut down after about 2 hrs, Bob realized the hydraulic motor/bearing' on the feed roller was hot, like almost too hot to touch, all the other bearings were warm, but not too much, about what you would expect for running it continuously for a couple hrs.

The fluid is topped up, filters got changed last year...no obvious leaks, just a bit of oily moisture around the fitting where the hoses head under the chassis towards the oil tank...

Any suggestions? Is running it that long at one time too long?
    My chipper is second hand and the manual I was able to coerce out of the manufacturer is not very detailed.
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Everything greased? Any funny/ not-funny noises?

What chipper?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Acolyte of the short bar Sponsor Bermy's Avatar

All greasy greased, no out of the ordinary noises...Chipstar 150MX, Australian made. (2002)
    Keep smiling, they will wonder what you're up to...

Originally Posted by woodworkingboy
    It's always better when people get the feeling that they will regret their decision, before they have to regret their decision.

Treehouser Sponsor sawinredneck's Avatar

Being that old it may just be time for new bearings, things do wear out.

I am guessing the hydraulic motor is going out. Most of them are fairly standard, most chipper manufacturers do not design and make custom hydraulic motors so you should be able to find one 'on the shelf' somewhere.

I would not do anything with it yet, just know it is wearing out. I would begin researching it and trying to source a replacement, either new or rebuilt. Or even a local shop that rebuilds hydraulic motors. Do your homework now so that when it does eventually quit working you can replace it and get back to work quickly and cheaply.
    -Brian

I would not worry too much about it. The bearings will get warm with use and the pump will get hot with use. Possibly clean out the hydro oil cooler fins with compressed air or a pressure washer, once the unit is cold. Do the same with the radiator, often. Always a good idea to change any and all filters more often than not chippers love to produce dust. When the chipper is shut down and the cutter drum/wheel is free spinning listen for any odd sounds like grinding or chirping. You want to hear a smooth even sound if anything.

A wooden dowel on pressed on the bearing housing and the other end in your ear while the feed is running will let you hear crunchy bearings over the chipper noise.
    Peter

TreeHouser Sponsor

That's good advice!

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

I have done that listening thing with a long screwdriver...put the handle end in your ear...not the other end....just sayin'
    Gary

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

@ Gary.

Look at the brand on the motor as well. I had my drive motor that went bad on my dingo rebuilt with warranty for about 1/2 of the cost of new. Call around. I saved like 450.00. Well worth the 1.5 hour drive.
    The dowel or screw driver trick for bearing noise is good advise.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.