Poll , Gibbs Ascenders

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haha Boss , ladder won't help me ... Use two on my safeties , use bigger one for mostly all my pull work. Also handy for tensioning and anchoring high lines between trees.

I use the bolt on my lanyard, pin for any other applications.

Jerry had a cool ascension setup with 3 of them in the Fundamentals book if I remember correctly. Frog/ rope walker type setup.

Lot's of really cool new gear coming out every time I turn around it seems. The old Gibbs and similar rope grabs will always be incredibly useful though.

I use Gibbs in rigging with my fiddle block set and just use the spring pin they came with. But if they were to be used for climbing it would be a bolt.

Gibbs ascenders are like Buckingham spurs, the most rudimentary / basic instruments in a treeman's bag of tricks. I used them a lot. For a lanyard with a bolt. Rigging not.

I have two, never found a use for em. I found it almost unusable on my lanyard. I see they are popular there but could never figure out what the benefit over a prussic and a tender would be. You have to un tension it in order to adjust it right? I don't get it. Educate me.

I can home those two if they're just collecting dust ... Always found them user friendly , especially w one hand.

I can home those two if they're just collecting dust ... Always found them user friendly , especially w one hand.

Is it that you use a steel flip line? I don't find my self spurring up big trunks. I've always thought a steel line might be nice for working on big wood. Never have used one though. Just rope.

Kevin, you are a million times the climber i am or will ever dream to be, but wire core fliplines are awesome on a stem.

I've only ever used rope fliplines. Gibbs still functions fine if covered in pitch/ sap. Good for dedicated pine lanyard.

Kevin, you are a million times the climber i am or will ever dream to be, but wire core fliplines are awesome on a stem.

I imagine you're right. I wonder if a prussic would work on a flip line. I imagine it still would pretty well. I need to pick up a flip line. I never find myself on a stem for very long. I usually take the easy way up and not a lot of cuts on the way down. It is annoying how my ropes can twist in each Other on a stem though.

A friction hitch works great, but a rope grab doesn't care about sap at all. Like i said, you have absolutely nothing to learn about climbing from me at all. If you have gone this long using a rope lanyard, i highly doubt you will improve by using a wire core, let alone one with a grab. We all have our preferences, but if you ever find yourself in nothing but sap and/or are forced to work a stem a bunch, they really are pretty sweet. I've seen your YouTube videos, and by my observations you are on the verge of flying anyways, so spend your time perfecting that and you won't need a lanyard at all :lol:

I imagine you're right. I wonder if a prussic would work on a flip line. I imagine it still would pretty well. I need to pick up a flip line. I never find myself on a stem for very long. I usually take the easy way up and not a lot of cuts on the way down. It is annoying how my ropes can twist in each Other on a stem though.

Kyle's post #21 covers it for me. I have been using steel fliplines and Gibbs or Petzel for decades, just recently tried going back to a prussic and am close to giving it up. (It use to work tolerably well on a 3/4 inch three strand I made up.)

PPE , it's real personal (comes down to preference and comfort aloft) ... always disliked the knot adjust on my safeties , when I didn't have the second Gibbs I would use a Blake's and minder pulley which gave me one hand adjust.

Back