Atlanta accident -- climber dies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know...they said "hung in wires"??? May have been a rigging rope. Pictures I saw don't show electrical wires close.

The video said "part of the tree hit the worker".

Aerial rescue is incredibly difficult. I wonder how many climbers work daily with zero chance of a competent rescue if needed.

I'll post the same thing here that I posted on TB.

It is sad that the TRT didn't have the skills to rescue him, but if you had any idea the things most rescue teams are trying to be proficient in, you might understand. The TRT on my department specializes in High/Low angle(cliffs, bridges, windmills, power transmission, antenna, etc), Confined Space, Trench, Collapse, Heavy Rescue, Industrial Rescue and now are considering tasking in Water Rescue. All of this in addition to being Firefighters and EMTs or Paramedics. Now take into account that they get 4 additional hours of overtime training per month(per member) to accomplish this with a 12 member team.

This is the reality of the fire service currently.

I would encourage everyone to reach out to your fire department and see if they have trained for this kind of a scenario. Offer to help them learn. They may or may not accept, but at least you'll know.

I am currently working with the guys on my department's TRT to help them understand this need. Every time one of the TRT guys works overtime at my station, we are setting lines in the trees out back and talking about what ifs. I share every one of these articles with them.

If you haven't read this article by Steve Connally, you should: http://portal.treebuzz.com/professional-interoperability-working-with-first-responders-1143

Oh and vote YES on that next FD Levy

Rusty fire-department-budget-cut.jpg

I rarely worked with other climbers and even so, I have no idea how adept they woulda been at rescuing me. I woulda just been SOL!

Yah. I wasn't implying a lack of competency from the FD. I was thinking more in house. But interesting stuff and points too Rustykfd.

Aerial rescue is incredibly difficult. I wonder how many climbers work daily with zero chance of a competent rescue if needed.

... That would be most of us

I'll post the same thing here that I posted on ...
Great post , read it all and didn't feel the need to re-post it all. What I learned on Ski Patrol is that we were good at what we did , FD was good at what they did , ect. We trained and executed high angle rescue quite bit. I remember seeing a show on Caving back when I watched TV , Cavers believe that if your screwed in a cave "Only another Caver can rescue you" .... Interesting point to ponder in our business , say something horrible like not only injured at height but pinned by heavy work ... You'd need other Treeworkers.

I have absolutely zero training in aerial tree rescue. That said, rescues are almost always made to be more difficult than they actually are. I think that freezes guys up. I know it froze me up the first time I rescued an unconscious occupant from a burning house. I had the "oh shit" this is the real deal moment with all the stuff I had learned in countless drills and training running through my head. All that needed to be done was carry the guy outside to the medic crew.......boom, done, go finish search and fight fire.

I think most tree guys can rig down a limb. Go rig down a climber and get it done, nobody is keeping score when it's real.

That crossed my mind, too, Rusty. That tree they showed for this accident had big, strong crotches. I can see climbing up on spurs, setting my lifeline, putting a rigging rope over a crotch, tie into the victim's harness, cut him loose and lower him to medics. Of course, we need someone on the ground to have some sense about how to control/lower a load without losing it on the way down. Friction wrap on a tree will probably be frowned upon..but it is effective.

Packaging someone in the tree is going to take way too much time most likely...if he's already been hanging harness/suspension trauma is a big killer...time to get the vic out of the situation. It's likely to be a "scoop and go" , like with a car on fire...no KED, C-collar, etc.

I took one aerial rescue course, about 10-12 years ago. It was a bit complicated the way it was shown. I'll have to youtube AR and see what's being done now.

Would you believe that spinal immobilization is on it's way out? It's been proven to do more harm than good in most cases. It's crazy how stuff changes.

I have absolutely zero training in aerial tree rescue. That said, rescues are almost always made to be more difficult than they actually are. I think that freezes guys up. I know it froze me up the first time I rescued an unconscious occupant from a burning house. I had the "oh shit" this is the real deal moment with all the stuff I had learned in countless drills and training. All that needed to be done was carry the guy outside to the medic crew.......boom, done, go finish search and fight fire.

I think most tree guys can rig down a limb. Go rig down a climber and get it done, nobody is keeping score when it's real.

Huge thumbs up, Rusty. Absolutely correct. Basically you're rigging down a 200 lb log but slightly softer and easily bruised. Spike up, toss a line over a big limb and lower him down. No, we aren't concerned about spike holes or rope burn on the tree when a man's life is in the balance.

My son is a FF/EMT...Lt. in a local dept. Spinal immobilization when I was first taught in 1993 was a big "Do it"...now it is less emphasized seems to me. Once you put that C-spine on someone it sets the path for a whole involved protocol. C-spine used to be standard...apparently not so much now.

I was just talking to the new guy at work about arial rescue the other day. I’m sure this isn’t quite like the real thing but I was surprised at the climbing comp how many people couldn’t do the rescue climb. I was one of a small handfull and that was only 25’ up (or so). Maybe I’ll start hanging deer in the trees for my guys to rescue.

But the competitions have so little association with real life work sites. The only part of the competitions I thought was worthwhile was the work climb. I was a rather competent climber back in the day but I wasn't worth a hoot at any of the other events except the work climb. I bought a slingshot because I can't throw a throwline. I have ascenders because I can't footlock. And if I needed to rescue another climber I'd be strapping on my gaffs and running up the tree instead of all the stupid crap they want you to do in the competitions.

I think there is a mental aspect to it as well. Even people who made it up to the rescue dummy would suddenly forget how to tie knots, work a carabiner, or whatever.

Yeah, because they were trying to recall a memorized script without sacrificing points instead of actually rescuing a live, injured person.

I just watched and read the news, sad deal. By the looks of things no power lines like you guys said must have been a working line got around his neck. In that case I don't know if he was saleable but either way I hate to hear that. A man trying to make a living.

Tellya wut - I've no training, but I'd get your ass to the ground.
������
Yup, but i bet a lot of seasoned climbers wouldn’t be able to when put in the situation. Some people don’t react well under pressure especially with no training.

Back