Atlanta accident -- climber dies

Cool story Kenny, and good quick thinking there. Very tragic, but I'm with Brian in the fact that you are totally on your own when you go up on rope. I feel that this reality isn't explained to new guys starting to climb (especially self taught ones), and i feel that it probably should be made known. Part of accepting risks is understanding the level of commitment that you are actually accepting, and i would bet the fact that rescue is likely not coming would be quite the shocker to most starting out.

Agreed. Self rescue set up is a must. Chances are, if that fails, it's a recovery. Kudos to you Kenny and anyone else that gets to pull it off and save a life.

I climbed for years before ever even considering the idea of aerial rescue. From the very first time I went up a tree I fully 100% understood that I was completely on my own up there and nobody would ever be able to rescue me if something happened. I always just assumed every tree climber thought the same way. It's part of the appeal of doing it, like mountain climbing or scuba diving.

If anybody goes into this field thinking they will always have a backup to rescue them if they screw up then they are in the wrong line of work.

I agree Brian.

When I worked in ND, the local fire department asked if I could give them some basic climbing instruction. I thought it was a good idea, but they never followed up. I know the went through some rock climbing type rescue training, even though there were no mountains in the state. I was teaching climbing at the college at the time.

...Having another seasoned climber on site is the best way to go if you can.
We almost always have 2 climbers on each work site. Our par excellence #1 climber, and a competent backup climber. Rarely both are climbing simultaneously, but occasionally both are aloft. We're about to get a 3rd apprentice on board, so we will always have 2 in case a rescue were needed. And as Gary & Brian mentioned, I'd throw on some spurs & a lanyard and spike up if there were an emergency if no one else could.

No saw lanyards here; article mentioned it may have been what was choking him, after getting clocked. I'm shocked that the Human guy shows his big near-death blunders on YouTube -- and perhaps even more shocked he didn't die when he got walloped in the head in this video:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BfgTdoyB738" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Okay missed him if he was here , watched some of the vid. I assume someone here politely told him he's okay on top and limbs but needs improvement on spars.

Was shitty planning. Shitty cut, shitty rope placement, and shitty lowering from groundie. There was plenty of time and room to let it run some, but climber made that situation in the first place.

I do appreciate that he shares his mistakes. Allows newbs to learn from someone else's bad experiences. Probably.

I have my doubts that anyone who posts a snafu video is more concerned about using it as a coaching moment as opposed to a way to gain views. Bring back Nosak!

Couldn't be more annoying than Logger Wade, though...

What was the Human guy's name here? I don't even know anything about him, even where he's from. I just saw a handful of videos from him and quickly realized it was a complete waste of time. And now he's getting product endorsement & review units given to him, due to his subscriber count. Sigh.

Missed you being around Paul.

Well Stephen ...the buzz been slow and FB and insta needs a little break. I always like it here. So stepped back in. I do the rounds.

Paul? The human?

Butch human is an internet youtube climber who has a large following. He was the guy in the vid on the previous page. Deva cleared up that I am Paul.

Back