Saw video thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So ... what’s your agenda here sir ? This a saw video thread last I checked ... I have no problem showcasing my work ... why not upload some of yours ? I take it that you must be pals with Bragley and his #1 nut - hugger Shine from your postings ? Care to share sir ?

They been warned. All that matters. ;)

Nope never owned a saw from him. But I do know of him and met him a few times. But nope he didnt do the kind of work I ran years back.

I see you starting your little childish name calling already. :lol:

Well I’m hooked, what’s all this about then?
it’s all BS lol ... cmon cut4fun ... you know it’s all about the scoots at days end ... I like this site already ; why u gotta try and rain on my parade bro ?

Remember!

Just one rule here...

ehghtf.jpg

Firewood hoarders club, gotta love the name. What is that place like (I figured someone who's a member there could sum it up better than me noodling around there for awhile)?

Just put it this way. I quit going to that place many years ago. Wasnt learning anything at all there.

Like sites I can learn something at. As in I dont know chit about tree trimming so always reading here to help me on my own stuff.

I am curious, what does fuel usage have to do with it? Everything I’ve seen you accomplish the same amount of work with a modded saw vs a stock saw by the increase in engine output. You also need to increase fuel usage to cool the engine because of the increase in output. I can’t say I’ve ever heard a saw builder, or modded saw user, ever give a rip about fuel usage, just work that got done.

How do you get the exact percentages? Are people recording and building a database on use and consumption?

I've heard of certain mods causing a high rate of fuel usage, but it should only go toward more power, so I also don't understand the complaint. I guess certain mods could just blow too much fresh gas out the exhaust without taking advantage of that extra power, so maybe it is possible to cause it to suck more gas than it can use. A 660 already guzzles gas, so I figure a big bore 660 would guzzle more, and even more on 32:1.

I'm working on a 2511t and decided to gently get it started on 32:1. 10-15 cuts in a 9" log later and it's gone through 1/2-2/3 tank of gas in less than 5 minutes, granted it's a tiny pruning saw.

I am curious, what does fuel usage have to do with it? Everything I’ve seen you accomplish the same amount of work with a modded saw vs a stock saw by the increase in engine output. You also need to increase fuel usage to cool the engine because of the increase in output. I can’t say I’ve ever heard a saw builder, or modded saw user, ever give a rip about fuel usage, just work that got done.
Yah ... when you process firewood or are logging you aren’t making $ when the Saw isn’t cutting ... If a stock Saw gets 15 min of run time and produces “x” and builder 1 gets 1.3x but with an 8 min run time and builder 2 gets 1.3x with a 12 minute run time which Saw am I going to run ?

How do you get the exact percentages? Are people recording and building a database on use and consumption?
exact percentages ? As far as cutting speed I test the stock saw in a chunk of hardwood with a brand new off the roll chain and record times via video; then do the same with the muffler modded/gutted,tube exhaust deflector etc , then do the same with intake / filter mods (or bore carb if need be ) ... at this point I assess my gains ... I’m usually up 12-18% at this point depending on the model (Ive only done the STIHL Pro line but expect similar gains with other manufacturers saws) after I’m satisfied I’ve gotten all I can the mods/porting process begins and more testing , testing and finally more testing ... Fuel usage is quite simple to test actually ... a graduated beaker with a known qty of fuel is added to the chainsaw and a series of cuts are made , fuel is then removed from Saw and measured in beaker ... this difference is the amount of fuel used ... All things being equal I prefer porting/mods to give not only great gains but great mileage/ fuel economy as well ! Imho the limiting factor on chainsaws is AIR thru the engine ! More AIR more torque/power ! Your mileage may vary

Again, don’t GAS about runtime, how much production have I gained?
I get your newish, but I’ve had a little practice at this myself. Do some digging, my user name is around, I’ve actually built a Husky 350 that would outrun all but a piped 346xp. I’ve owned one of the nastiest BB 046 builds you’ll come across. Actually sold it to a member here, but as I didn’t build it, I can’t take any credit.
But I’ve also got a set of twin Dolmar 5100’s, Yeah! You wanna play in the 50cc world, these things are nasty!
Again, no one gives a rip about fuel economy, either the saw increased production, or it didn’t.
I’m not picking sides and smelling armpits with you, I’m just saying I’ve heard BS and I’ve run saws that back that BS up!

Too early to math! :|:
is it too early for cold-ales lol

Again, don’t GAS about runtime, how much production have I gained?
I get your newish, but I’ve had a little practice at this myself. Do some digging, my user name is around, I’ve actually built a Husky 350 that would outrun all but a piped 346xp. I’ve owned one of the nastiest BB 046 builds you’ll come across. Actually sold it to a member here, but as I didn’t build it, I can’t take any credit.
But I’ve also got a set of twin Dolmar 5100’s, Yeah! You wanna play in the 50cc world, these things are nasty!
Again, no one gives a rip about fuel economy, either the saw increased production, or it didn’t.
I’m not picking sides and smelling armpits with you, I’m just saying I’ve heard BS and I’ve run saws that back that BS up!
My point is all things being equal I prefer more power AND great mileage ! If you can get BOTH why not ?

And again, by whose calculations?
I don’t have a dog in the fight, I ONLY build saws for myself! I’ve sold one modded saw, at a loss, the 346xp, because I was disappointed with it! I’ve nothing to prove either way, but somethings not adding up here.

What are you not understanding? I’ll try and answer to the best of my ability

What calculations are you using to prove you get better fuel usage? And better yet, how are you doing it?
As I’ve stated, you don’t get something from nothing, you want a modded saw to run like a beast, you feed it lots of fuel! What have you figured out to improve on that?

I addressed your first question above regarding fuel , Feeding a Saw “lots of fuel” doesn’t necessarily make more power especially if said fuel goes straight out the exhaust port or cannot contribute to combustion ... As far as the “hows and whys” that info will stay behind the shop walls ... If you wish to learn this skill I suggest you read all available books on the topic ... it’s a learning curve that can be quite expensive (fried cylinders, pistons, lathes mills tooling welders etc ) ... That’s why a lot of guys just pay someone else and run the piss out of the saw , when it’s down on juice sell on eBay 1/2 price, rinse and repeat ... I think you’ll find the best porters are guys who actually USE the saws to earn a living ! These folk KNOW what works and more importantly what Doesn’t work as they use the saws regularly ...

Yah ... when you process firewood or are logging you aren’t making $ when the Saw isn’t cutting ... If a stock Saw gets 15 min of run time and produces “x” and builder 1 gets 1.3x but with an 8 min run time and builder 2 gets 1.3x with a 12 minute run time which Saw am I going to run ?

The power of the saw is a very small part of how much money you can make per hour in logging.

Compared to being a skilled precision faller ( Unlike your guy in the video), being able to put in face and felling cuts with no wasted motion ( Again, unlike your guy in the video) and having a keen eye for binds when bucking, so you can get by without constantly having to get the second saw to cut your first saw free, a more powerfull saw matters little.

That is not to say it isn't nice to have, but being good at the basics is what is making you money in the woods.

:thumbup: dead on Stig. And let's not forget filing and keeping a saw sharp too.

I addressed your first question above regarding fuel , Feeding a Saw “lots of fuel” doesn’t necessarily make more power especially if said fuel goes straight out the exhaust port or cannot contribute to combustion ... As far as the “hows and whys” that info will stay behind the shop walls ... If you wish to learn this skill I suggest you read all available books on the topic ... it’s a learning curve that can be quite expensive (fried cylinders, pistons, lathes mills tooling welders etc ) ... That’s why a lot of guys just pay someone else and run the piss out of the saw , when it’s down on juice sell on eBay 1/2 price, rinse and repeat ... I think you’ll find the best porters are guys who actually USE the saws to earn a living ! These folk KNOW what works and more importantly what Doesn’t work as they use the saws regularly ...

It's always odd to me when people claim they have it all figured out but are unwilling to share that info. It reminds me of another member on here who holds the knowledge of secret magical cutting abilities but refuses to share the knowledge because it's his and his alone.

It hasn't been my experience that the best builders are full time saw users. Seems the best builders are closer to full time saw builders. Guys who are depending on their saws to put food on the table don't strike me as the type to either have the time or desire to 'expirement' with what works and doesn't work. They are much more happy to just pay someone else to hand them a saw that works as needed.

Sorry, as a pro faller I took that for a given.

First thing we beat into apprentices.
Wanna log?
Keep you saw sharp.

I go over and check their work 'bout once a day.
See how they grade logs ( That is the difficult one to learn) look at their stumps and their limbing.

Then I ask to try their saw.

On a new apprentice, I'll take the time to file it for them, showing where they went wrong, after about ½ year if their saw doesn't cut well, new asshole!

Back