Hazard Tree take downs

RegC

TreeHouser
Some work from last week

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WpyML9i0gO0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2nd to last one was my favorite -- the 4-for-1-special. I'd have loved it if you would have cut to George Peppard saying, "I love it when a plan comes together!"
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FPQlXNH36mI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

@MasterBlaster: any chance we can edit the thread title to be "Hazard" trees? Not the Dukes of Hazzard here...

Last edited by a moderator:
There's alot of action in that 7 minute video, cuts right to all the good stuff!
Great work.

Big time "fun", Reg! Great work, meticulous planning and execution. Safety first!

Lol looking for wedges.

That was a helluva vid- crystal clear and packed with action, great post!!

Are they going to remove those felled trees or are they deemed safe once they are down on the ground?

Reg, I know you are a big fan of old growth, just curious if you agreed with those removals as hazard trees, as in, if you were in charge of the project would you pick all the same trees for removal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks all. Cory, you have to see how much of the cliffside is being removed to appreciate the liability of trying to retain many of those old cedars. Its a major highway (the only) between Port Alberni and Ucluelet/Tofino regions. Lot of traffic, particularly in spring and summer. I dont know, is my answer. We back up there tomorrow thru til Thursday. Smaller stuff if the cliff edge I believe. Theres still the biggest trees to do, but not sure when thatll be. Thanks

Thanks for the info. So it sounds like they will be removing the felled trees off of the hillside? Just wondering how they're going to do that cuz that looks like it'll be tricky too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the info. So it sounds like they will be removing the felled trees off of the hillside? Just wondering how they're going to do that cuz that looks like it'll be tricky too.

Theyll only move what they have to. The majority will sit as nurse logs.

Nasty! Nice work, but if I’ve got to crawl on my belly to get a tree, that sucker can stay there!

Not only a food resource and an habitat for the ecosystem, but a soil accumulator too, purely mechanical. Dirt and debris stay and pile up between the log and the uphill ground, instead of being washed out by the rain and gravity. That makes a nice and comfy cradle for the new baby trees.

Western Hemlock (maybe mountain hemlock, not sure, don't have them here) like to germinate on top of the log. There will be a long row of hemlock standing on stilt-buttress roots once the nurse log is rotted away.

I can remember how they are referred to...a line of sentries/ soldiers.

I cut a big hemlock in a back yard that was 'on stilts' a bit ago. It grew over a nurse-stump.

example:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...gws-wiz-img.zyCxCQaXByw#imgrc=l1jY4BLGs73vwM:

Stilt-roots are another time that a springboard is handy.

Back