What to expect when your expecting a tree service

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can’t think of any Cory, but have been following it with interest and pondering.

I reckon all of us biz owners, large and small have had bad experiences where a job has turned sour, it cannot always be the clients fault.

I think there is usually a point in the quoting procedure where there’s a kind of dislocation.

Client: ‘will there be any damage?’

Tree guy: ‘we will certainly do our best to avoid it’

Now 99% of the time the client understands that nuance, but occasionally they take you at your word and it hits the fan.

Underpricing can also cause problems, it’s not the clients fault you screwed up the quote, but it’s difficult not to resent them when they complain about something innocuous when they’re getting it at cost.

Anyway, gotta go, looking at this chipper in 30 mins.
I think that is a good point mic and probably holds true a lot of the time. I’m sure a lot of people down play possible damage because otherwise your talking yourself out of a job. But always better to be honest and get things written down. I suppose that’s where I’m at fault is when I don’t always write something down because I thought I could trust someone after the long detailed conversation we had about it. And for the most part everything works out fine. 95% of my estimates don’t get signed and I rarely have problems. But every now and then....

Sometimes people want you to try and not damage something but you won't be held to it. but try not to.

I tell them do or do not, there is no try. I will not damage it or not have any concern over it. Same as a greenhouse. Trying not to damage something is a distraction. Not damaging it is normal work. smashing it if they want the smash it price is normal work.

I slew a tree over a 100,000 dollar copper-roofed birdhouse for weird exotics... he was a rich doctor. Someone sat out on the porch the entire time watching with an eagle-eye. Kinda made me nervous...

The birds didn't like it! I did the same thing once over the bear's cage at our awesome zoo. Big ass dead tree, hard to take down like you wouldn't believe. I'd make a big cut and then they'd all run and check on the bears.. it was a rush!

Worked in the Bengel tigers dean once - they were locked up in their den. Talk about a weird, eerie day!

Back