Online Tree Videos

How Long?

• Total voters
I still regard myself as a student of the trade, so I appreciate longer instructive videos that detail a whole job start to finish. Other MTV-style videos are more "fun" and quickly digestible, but less useful in furthering my education -- which is the main point of me choosing to watch a tree video in the first place.

Yeah I'm definitely in the longer video too. I would like to see more non helmet cam, but in the tree watching the climber stuff. That way you can study body positioning, movement, etc. Aka the trade. Watching the cuts is cool and all, but it's the work before the cut that watching better climbers can help more imo. Especially on long terrible limb walks. That's where the ultra pros make it look easy. With a helmet cam it almost looks like you just taped a camera on a squirrel, and now it turned into a man with a chainsaw who executes a cut in seconds with laser precision. The body positioning is what makes that happen, and that's what I like watching personally.

Depends on the "author." Most tree work videos I won't watch, short or long, because I feel like I know the game and plus I have my own creating to do. So I guess as a viewer I have to vote 5-10. . . or less even. People often ask me to watch their videos, but I can rarely finish them due to monotonous or clunky content/work or editing style. I catch all Reg's vids because I like him and his style and I identify with his content or find humor even if I might disagree with a detail and not get to hating Starbucks so much as he does.
Plus he doesn't make a ton of videos.

As a creator myself, I just do what I want and make them for myself. I enjoy making them and make many for the family that don't make it public. Like I've said before if I didn't make them for fun I wouldn't make very many. I do what I want.
If someone finds they're too long for one sitting I assume they can come back to it. After all, if you click away, YouTube holds your place in the video.

I ponder formulas for getting more views (short length, catchy titles, etc.) but at the same time I abhor views as a motive and the whole click-bate bs I see so much.
Everybody is somebody else's weirdo so I can't make em all happy anyway.
I may as well do what I want.

Depends whose they are.

Some peeps have my confidence that they won’t waste my time so I’ll set aside a window to watch them.

Generally short is good, but on a Saturday morning for instance, after I have walked the dog, and before the wife gets up to start breakfast, getting stuck into a long technical vid is a pleasure.

Shorter the better. Same with written posts. A long vid here or there is fine but over all I don’t have time to watch it. I typically get board 30sec in on most videos.

By the posts here, it looks like the poll is missing the "depending" category. It'd be the same with all types of movies. One might be able to watch an entertainment flick like Dances with Wolves at 3 hours but find it impossible to sit through a 1 hour motion picture that didn't hold the viewer.

August makes a good point about wether or not it’s entertaining and can hold someone’s attention but I don’t find most videos to be that way. Even an instructional video must be edited correctly or it will lose its audience. Murphy put up a video on the thread I started the other day. It had some cool stuff in it for sure but way too long. I watched for 2 minutes and moved on. ( no offense Murphy ) my video was pure entertainment and short but probably did little to teach anyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The ruination of mankind, Mick. Don't worry yourself so, mate.

And you're absolutely right - I'm me... always have been.

No choice on the poll comes close to suiting my opinion on this. So I didn't vote.

I'm likely to watch a long vid if I'm in the mood and other things are not pulling me away. I'm likely to leave any length vid no matter that length, if/when it bores me. Short ones are no panacea, I'll still skip out as soon as I find myself saying under my breath..."no duh" or "yada,yada".

So the length in and of itself is immaterial. It's all about my situation, and the content/presentation; i.e. plenty of time, or not so much; and how it grabs my interest and attention.

The poll is not nearly detailed enough to capture my position on the subject. Length alone is of little consequence to me.

I didn't want to go overboard with it. True, I shoulda had a 4th option... or 10.

It's the general idea I'm addressing... short VS long.

I say short.

And I say that is not the pertinent point at all. Short or long alone matters not a bit to this member.

But it's your poll brother, not mine. No worries.

For me, it's not just tree videos - it's any video I'm watching for my amusement.

Back