Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half Hitch Keeper - Looking for Feedback

Default Half Hitch Keeper - Looking for Feedback

Hey everybody, I'm looking for some feedback on this latest rigging video. If you guys have a minute to spare, I would really appreciate it!

- Patrick

Arborist Rigging Basics | Half Hitch Keeper

Climb high, Work smart, Read more.
    - TreeMuggs

educatedclimber.com

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Nothing new there, been doing it forever. Interesting how you don't use a running bowline...

Clear explanation of the usage, and a neat little trick at the end.

Doesn’t the use of the half hitch also spread the shock? 80% through the half hitch and 20% to the second knot, or did I imagine that?
    Im condescending, that means I talk down to people.

Mick

I kinda take it for granted that everyone should know basic stuff like this, but then I remember there are always newbies coming up who may not have been taught these tricks. Good video and good explanation.
    "The mind is the limiting factor." ~Robin Brown, aka Brownie

At 4:11, I'd say to cut snap-cut #2 below snap-cut #1.

I'd use a rope without nicks for work, especially videos. Cut it off. Make a short sling.

If I am only tension-wood cutting/ top-cutting a branch, and it may split, I like the half-hitch.

I like the daisy-chain hitch, and plan to use it.
    Consider linking the other video of the DCH if you haven't.

For logs, the groundie should be landing it on a log so that the rope isn't pinched, if I am just doing short, tip-tied pieces, I'd tip-tie close enough to the end that its easy to slip off the end, once landed, leaving the RB place, ready to loop over the top. Just a short-cut that isn't a long-cut, unless its hard to slip off the end. Sometimes its better to untie, like a mid-tie situation. There, DCH looks winning. Is there any way for the DCH to snag and pull out? I haven't tied it, yet.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Patron saint of bore-cutters Sponsor stig's Avatar

The first 1 minute seems like a waste of the viewer's time.
    Apart from that, I liked it.
    Deyr f,
    deyja frndr,
    deyr sjalfr it sama,
    ek veit einn,
    at aldrei deyr:
    dmr um dauan hvern.

Basic stuff of course but good for beginners I suppose.

General Purpose Sponsor Stumpshot's Avatar

I've been using the DCH to good effect since you previously mentioned it. Pulled several bushes out using it, pulled with the chip truck directly on a couple, and the 10,000 lb winch on another couple. It released easily even after a hard pull. The timesaver trick at the end is what I often do on logs for winching to pull it up onto the table, then the half hitch/marl just slips off the end and you can continue winching it into the feed wheels.

Nice idea re winching onto the table, Ss, in situations where attaching the line to log on ground would be quick and easy. Otherwise, probably easier to reattach the line to log once log is on table and fully elevated/accessible for reattaching.

As said above, the vid is very basic but probably good for beginners, though even for noobs, the info given is so simple, no need to present it over and over, 2x's would probably suffice.

Unwrapped left thumb at .20 is egregious error imo in a vid aimed at presenting basics to noobs.

For your personal, experienced use, a non locking rope snap for 'knotless' rigging would reduce your tying time by 90%
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

Quote Originally Posted by cory View Post
    Unwrapped left thumb at .20 is egregious error imo in a vid aimed at presenting basics to noobs.
    Egregious indeed. This is why 99.999% of people will never post anything. This made me smile . Thanks everybody for the feedback.

On a side note, this video is doing better than most of my stuff to date, not sure if it got picked up by the algorithm or what. Will be interesting to see how it does in the long run.

Cheers,

Patrick
    Climb high, Work smart, Read more.
    - TreeMuggs

educatedclimber.com