Fundamentals of General Tree Work on eBay

Hey, who knows! It taught me a few things!

Thanks, Jerry!
cheers2.gif

...and the beat goes on.

Thanks for posting that, Sean. And thank you, Butch and everyone for the great support through the years that the Fundamentals has garnered as an educational work in the trade. 1978, only 9 years experience in the trade I set a goal to write that book. It took 18 years, as I had a lot learn before it went to print. It's never stopped evolving since.

I have no idea why anyone would sell their copy of that...

Heck, I'd sell my signed copy... for about...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l91ISfcuzDw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If mine ever turns up on eBay , I'll be extra mad at my "friend" who borrow and not return it ... I figure eventually he'd feel guilty at some point maybe when he cleans his house or moves and return it , he runs a feller buncher now anyways , so it's not like he really needs it.

It's a common theme. Mine is mia right now too. I loaned it out to a young fellow who was/is? starting out and now he's disappeared. No contact, no book. Because I'm 'retired' from treework I felt that it was in the spirit of things to loan the book out so others could learn. It's to valuable of a resource to sit unused. Now I've been f-cked over. Hopefully it'll turn up? Or atleast hopefully someone is reading it.

It is a common theme for sure, Justin. Reminds me when I loaned out my coveted 'A.J. Mc Clane's Fishing Encyclopedia' to a friend in 1987, and that was the last I seen of it. That book weighed in at least 6 pounds. A to Z, in detail everything you would need to know about catching fish in practically any locale in the world. I'm sure it's still out there somewhere influencing minds.

That's my hope. That even if I don't get it back. That it's atleast being read.

If I can get a hint of the trail of it though. I'll hunt it down.

I still got mine. It's getting pretty beat up. Think I'll be purchasing the digital version soon.
Gerry, any thoughts or plans for another printing? Just curious.

That's it, keep up the prodding -- maybe we can get him to concede to the ongoing relevance of the Fundamentals. :)
(and of course, I'd be glad to help with a 2nd printing!)

One of my former apprentices has mine at the present.
Since I know he has it and he knows that I know, I'll get it back for sure.

I still got mine. It's getting pretty beat up. Think I'll be purchasing the digital version soon.
Gerry, any thoughts or plans for another printing? Just curious.

I'm not Gerry, and I don't play him on TV, but I thought I'd seen him say somewhere that he has no interest in going through the grind that is publishing once again. Maybe if Patrick or Stumpshot could figure out a way to make it happen without involving Gerry in the pain involved, he would give his blessing to the project.

Here is the link to the Amazon self-publishing web page, just in case anyone is interested.

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/l/print-on-demand

They require no money up front. Books are only produced after an order for the book is already placed. The downside is that I'm sure Amazon gets a significant percentage of the profit from the sales of the book, which might increase the cost to the end purchasers, and reduce the amount that goes into the pocket of the writer. However, it does make the hard copy available to a much larger audience, potentially. I think the production of the book would be in paperback form only, also. I don't think they produce hard cover copies. Thanks for listening.

Tim

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I decided to bid on it. I don't exactly know where my copy is. And it's the type of thing where better to have two than none.

Pages upon pages can be written for every topic presented in the Fundamentals. Where do you spare words to keep it short and yet comprehensive? No matter how you dice it updating the Fundamentals would be a big project. To do it right I figure would take, even myself, at least 3 years.

The vast image database of Tree Work that's available on the internet today could sure make it sweet, though.

Back