Log arches

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Visibility for steering, and ruggedness of terrain probably dictate both push and pull, lift and lower, depending.

Western trails have been designed with less grade.

Modern trails move toward no barriers, like steps, abrupt drainage features and such. Design/ layout is critical for longevity.

Eastern trails, historically, have been steeper, with more steps and water-bars for drainage.

I've built mostly no-barrier trails, even ADA-compliant.

Interesting. I would think it would be easier to pull that cart over pushing it!

i think of axle as the loaded point.
If input effort higher than axle would also think mechanically easier to pull than push cuz
pulling axle from ground vs.pushing axle into ground >> pulling should be mechanically easier.
>>unless some human ergonomic, or easier to impact , visually handle balancing better etc

On mine, i simply welded chain to just hang down, and the log tongs have a grab hook. That way the height is easily adjusted, and in use the 2nd guy sets the hooks and attaches to the chain. With the logrite you probably can set the tongs by yourself, but adjusting the pick point would be harder i think. It's best to have the tail end slightly heavy, so you don't snag on the ground.

Logging arches aren't a new idea by any means...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_logging_wheels

Stoked!
Has upgraded wheels and a 2-person t-bar handle that comes straight off of the frame. I was interested to see that the tongs hang out different lengths for different diameters of logs... Makes sense.

IMG_20190220_121440326.jpg

Log arches are awesome! Ditto on the winching with an arch. Super low tech solution to move material up a hill your mini can't access. With a relatively clear shot you can just lower the arch back down the hill to your second guy, saving tons of hill walking. Nice score, I'm sure you'll love it

Very nice, I'm sure you will come to love it. If you plan on using it by hand a fair amount, you might want to weld a longer handle, a foot to a foot and a half or so on each side. Maybe do a pipe in pipe handle so you can remove it. That way it's much easier to move under weight, each guy simply holds it about waist high and walks. Keeps people from bending over to their side, which is bad on the back.

Yep, it has the two man handle on a straight, not drop, tongue... Swaps right out.

Very nice. Hell yeah man, if you've never used one it will surprise you. Having a mini will definitely decrease the use, but that one time you need it you will be happy :)

Minis are the shiznit, but Kyle speaks the TRUTH!

xZjsxHn.gif

Back