Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Log arches

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    I wonder how one of those would do if the wheels were centered, like a Chinese wheelbarrow?
    The arches kind of center themselves over the log if you center the wheels to the log. If I am reading you right?

TreeHouser Sponsor

Log arches are interesting. Before I had the Avant I needed to get five 14 inch conifers across a few hundred feet of soft/muddy field. I borrowed a Logrite arch about like that, lifted the but end and pulled them across and up hill with the chipper winch. I was going to buy one for myself - still would if one came up used at an affordable price.

In researching I saw there were one or two guys near TreeStuff using a larger model to pull multi thousand pound millable logs back to their yard with SUVs or pickups.

General Purpose Sponsor Stumpshot's Avatar

Ditto that -- we've moved multi-thousand pound osage and locust logs from backyards with the arch + chipper winch combo, even across sloggy ground.
    But the mini skid or articulating loader are still on the short list radar.

nice log arch! googling the Chinese wheelbarrow led me to this which is pretty sweet. https://www.honeybadgerwheel.com/blo...s-camping-cart

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

Interesting. I would think it would be easier to pull that cart over pushing it!

Visibility for steering, and ruggedness of terrain probably dictate both push and pull, lift and lower, depending.

Western trails have been designed with less grade.

Modern trails move toward no barriers, like steps, abrupt drainage features and such. Design/ layout is critical for longevity.

Eastern trails, historically, have been steeper, with more steps and water-bars for drainage.

I've built mostly no-barrier trails, even ADA-compliant.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

That cart looks pretty sweet.

TreeHouser Sponsor theTreeSpyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
    Interesting. I would think it would be easier to pull that cart over pushing it!
    i think of axle as the loaded point.
    If input effort higher than axle would also think mechanically easier to pull than push cuz
    pulling axle from ground vs.pushing axle into ground >> pulling should be mechanically easier.
    >>unless some human ergonomic, or easier to impact , visually handle balancing better etc
    "Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
    We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples.
    ~ Please excuse the interruption; thanx -the mgmt. ~

On mine, i simply welded chain to just hang down, and the log tongs have a grab hook. That way the height is easily adjusted, and in use the 2nd guy sets the hooks and attaches to the chain. With the logrite you probably can set the tongs by yourself, but adjusting the pick point would be harder i think. It's best to have the tail end slightly heavy, so you don't snag on the ground.

Logging arches aren't a new idea by any means...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_logging_wheels
    Kyle