Thoughts? tree launcher shoots line up to 250 feets

Plus, you are using CO2! Every shot shot brings us close to the end!

I LOVE it!
In a country where you can pick up an assault rifle at your local general store a spud gun is illegal:|:

A buddy, while in high school and obviously heavily intoxicated, shot a hole clean through the garage roof while messing with one. They are actually quite dangerous. And you can only buy semi auto ones at every store. Our science project, looking back, probably was super illegal, because you could have easily installed it on a said semi auto rifle.... so there's that :lol: Now where i live, we have a pumpkin festival every year, where they build literal catapults and cannons to launch pumpkins into orbit, and that's completely legal somehow... we're talking shots over 1000 feet no problem hahahahaha

https://youtu.be/XMXiXzliUcg

Another thing you ever wonder why there is one guy wearing PPE and there is another guy wearing no PPE in some videos. I have been seeing that a lot lately.

Willie, 120. I think I only get 100 with a big shot.

Any tips on how you're doing that high?

Merle, I pulled halfway down, held the loop against the pole, lifted it up and set the base on a stump so I could pull it to the base and grab the pole then I could turn around, aim and shoulder fire it.

My crew always shoots with the pole on the ground, they were shocked the first time they saw me pull down like they do but then I grabbed the pole and picked it up. I was equally shocked they didn't know that trick. Easy to take for granted the things we know and do assuming others do too.

I have a little micro 3-1 pulley system with a quick release we used for the Tall trees in California.
We can pull the bigshot all the way with that.
You want to keep your nose, ears and other appendages well clear when releasing, though.

$8 horse panic snap for a release, 12' total pole length,and some accessory cord...175'...4 oz bumble-bee, 80# braided fishing line. Standard Bigshot.

APTA is slower than a big-shot.

A bike pump goes away from the truck. I frequently work a ways from the truck. I'm on my first pump, though the gauge ready erroneously-high, now, I believe. I normally go 160 PSI on the gauge. I did when new, too, and the gauge seemed consistent. 100' with a 12 oz bag.

A buddy, while in high school and obviously heavily intoxicated, shot a hole clean through the garage roof while messing with one. They are actually quite dangerous. And you can only buy semi auto ones at every store. Our science project, looking back, probably was super illegal, because you could have easily installed it on a said semi auto rifle.... so there's that :lol: Now where i live, we have a pumpkin festival every year, where they build literal catapults and cannons to launch pumpkins into orbit, and that's completely legal somehow... we're talking shots over 1000 feet no problem hahahahaha

You're crazy guys, but you sure know how to have fun !:laughing3:

I have a little micro 3-1 pulley system with a quick release we used for the Tall trees in California.
We can pull the bigshot all the way with that.
You want to keep your nose, ears and other appendages well clear when releasing, though.

Any way I can sweet talk you into posting a picture of your setup?

Now where i live, we have a pumpkin festival every year, where they build literal catapults and cannons to launch pumpkins into orbit, and that's completely legal somehow... we're talking shots over 1000 feet no problem hahahahaha
Punkin Chuckin'! Record is a mile now, isn't it? I saw it done locally in middle TN with a catapult, sent the pumpkins clear across a university parking lot where they smashed to bits! Great redneck fun!

Lol I'm not sure what the record is, but a mile wouldn't surprise me at all. Lots of engineers that work at cat around here, and even more rednecks, so about anything is possible. And yes, we do have some fun around here :D

Any way I can sweet talk you into posting a picture of your setup?

fwiw

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7vg5zjA9Jts" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With the $3 horse panic-snap, you have to be sure you don't get whipped by the gate opening.

The Witchard releases are like $80.

I prussik'ed my cheap accessory cord (maybe 6mm) to the base of my pole, then up though the base of the HPS (clips to the Bigshot webbing, with the rubber handle offset to the side), creating a 2:1.

Using a VT tied out of cheap accessory cord, I made progress-capture for the 2:1.

Worked fine. $9 plus a trip to the farm supply store for swivel-base HPS.

No pic. I made it for State Parks.

That valve is screwed DIRECTLY to the "barrel" just like the APTA......

Again, unless firing a specific projectile down a rifled barrel, how can a throw bag fired from a stainless steel smoothbore be any more accurate than when fired from an aluminum smoothbore? That's like saying a Wendy's straw will fire a spitball more accurately than a straw from McDonalds!

It's statements like this that make my day! :)

We use the big shot a lot, great for 'punching' up through a brushy canopy while standing right underneath. I made a double pully system with quick release so I can pull the bag down to the end of the pole

Honestly, I have used both the alum and ss launchers. Both do not work and better or worse than my cheap homemade PVC one.
Last summer we were climbing one of the tallest trees in the world. Montgomery Woods. The first branch we could tie into was around 120'.
My cheap ass PVC launcher with duct taped laser did just fine. If we had used monofilament instead of zing it, coulda shot way higher. Light throw bag.
The biggest challenge is to have your line feed out without tangles. Pumping is done with a bicycle pump. Best done by the new guy lol.

I would say your question is splitting hairs. Both work equally well. If you want even better performance than squirt some Pam in there or something.

I don't like monofilament because even with binoculars you just can't see it.
There is nothing like finally getting up to the branch and realizing your access line was not quite in the most perfect spot lol

Well shit I guess he dropped in just to sell something. frig em.

I read this thread first time last night. By the end of the first page, that's the way it seemed.

If "morgan" already tested it against another, to great satisfaction, noted near reply #12, why the question in the beginning?

Back