Half Hitch Keeper - Looking for Feedback

TreeMuggs

Treehouser
Hey everybody, I'm looking for some feedback on this latest rigging video. If you guys have a minute to spare, I would really appreciate it!

- Patrick

Arborist Rigging Basics | Half Hitch Keeper

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IU54YotY4vE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Clear explanation of the usage, and a neat little trick at the end.

Doesn’t the use of the half hitch also spread the shock? 80% through the half hitch and 20% to the second knot, or did I imagine that?

I kinda take it for granted that everyone should know basic stuff like this, but then I remember there are always newbies coming up who may not have been taught these tricks. Good video and good explanation. :thumbup:

At 4:11, I'd say to cut snap-cut #2 below snap-cut #1.

I'd use a rope without nicks for work, especially videos. Cut it off. Make a short sling.

If I am only tension-wood cutting/ top-cutting a branch, and it may split, I like the half-hitch.

I like the daisy-chain hitch, and plan to use it.
Consider linking the other video of the DCH if you haven't.

For logs, the groundie should be landing it on a log so that the rope isn't pinched, if I am just doing short, tip-tied pieces, I'd tip-tie close enough to the end that its easy to slip off the end, once landed, leaving the RB place, ready to loop over the top. Just a short-cut that isn't a long-cut, unless its hard to slip off the end. Sometimes its better to untie, like a mid-tie situation. There, DCH looks winning. Is there any way for the DCH to snag and pull out? I haven't tied it, yet.

The first 1½ minute seems like a waste of the viewer's time.
Apart from that, I liked it.

I've been using the DCH to good effect since you previously mentioned it. Pulled several bushes out using it, pulled with the chip truck directly on a couple, and the 10,000 lb winch on another couple. It released easily even after a hard pull. The timesaver trick at the end is what I often do on logs for winching to pull it up onto the table, then the half hitch/marl just slips off the end and you can continue winching it into the feed wheels.

Nice idea re winching onto the table, Ss, in situations where attaching the line to log on ground would be quick and easy. Otherwise, probably easier to reattach the line to log once log is on table and fully elevated/accessible for reattaching.

As said above, the vid is very basic but probably good for beginners, though even for noobs, the info given is so simple, no need to present it over and over, 2x's would probably suffice.

Unwrapped left thumb at .20 is egregious error imo in a vid aimed at presenting basics to noobs.

For your personal, experienced use, a non locking rope snap for 'knotless' rigging would reduce your tying time by 90%

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Unwrapped left thumb at .20 is egregious error imo in a vid aimed at presenting basics to noobs.

Egregious indeed. This is why 99.999% of people will never post anything. This made me smile :). Thanks everybody for the feedback.

On a side note, this video is doing better than most of my stuff to date, not sure if it got picked up by the algorithm or what. Will be interesting to see how it does in the long run.

Cheers,

Patrick

When you ask for feedback you get feedback. I am pretty much 99.999% sure that's not why 99.999% don't post stuff up. I'd wager there's a few more factors involved. Such as the can't be arsed percentage, don't want to learn how to for another, don't want to buy cameras and editing software, etc, etc, etc. But certainly know if you post stuff up, it will get picked and torn apart. 8)

When you ask for feedback you get feedback.

Agreed.

"Egregious indeed. This is why 99.999% of people will never post anything. This made me smile :)." I couldnt tell, Patrick, was that a dig at my feedback or was it agreement?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory, not a dig at all, just an observation.

First of all, when I talk about "people" in general, I don't mean everybody. Obviously not everybody wants to make content online. That's totally fine, and I get it. I'm talking about the type of person who has thought about making some stuff, whether it's videos, or anything else. I'm saying that 99.999% of THOSE people, will never do anything online, because they are afraid of "johnnypants49" (random, anonymous dude on Youtube) shitting all over whatever it is that they made. You know what I mean, like picking out that quarter of a second moment, in minute 3, of their video where they didn't exactly follow the Z133 standard, or whatever. It's the black-and-white argument, either your video is super-duper great, perfect, all-time incredible, or ........ it sucks. And that's just where the internet has taken us to. And I'm fine with that, it's just interesting to me.

Yes, of course, anything you post online is going to get pulled apart. Trust me, I know. I ask the world to pull my stuff apart everyday. Thank you guys for your feedback, I really do appreciate it. One thing that really stands out to me, is that even after going out of my way to make a video that is as short as possible, people still complain that it's too long. That fascinates me, and I love it.

Regarding the argument that people (who might actually want to make videos), can't make videos because of a lack of gear, is something that I reject entirely. Every one of us is walking around with an incredibly powerful super-computer in our pockets, which just happens to contain a completely amazing digital camera/video camera, that would have cost thousands of dollars just 10-15 years ago. That in itself just boggles my mind.

Thank you friends for the feedback. I don't post stuff here so that people can tell me how good it is. Exactly the opposite. And I really appreciate that. So, kudos to you all. Seriously.

- Patrick

Alright, thanks for clarifying, I wasn't sure if I was perceived to be trolling or something.

One thing that really stands out to me, is that even after going out of my way to make a video .... people still complain... That fascinates me, and I love it.

Hard to beat that attitude. It's all win/win, therefore. Like Ive heard said in mma, you're either winning or learning. 8)

Back