Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ISA

Young man on the go Sponsor
    Administrator

I got my certification when I was 18 or 19, never renewed it. A couple years after getting it, I was one of 42 in the state.
    Carl Rutherford

TreeHouser Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    Have you voiced your concerns directly to the Western Chapter? Do you attend their meetings? Have you volunteered for a place of the Board of Directors so that you can be part of the solution?
    I used to. Spent a few thousand hours volunteering. When the BMCA cert came out I lost interest in the entire thing. Thereby diluting the cert arborist program.

Yes I have brought up my concerns:

Overlapping multiple certs, blatant revenue enhancement

Zero reciprocity with established jr. Colleges and 4 year universities, why? Because the ISA doesn't want to expose themselves to potentially losing revenue by being a stepping stone to a person getting a degree then dropping the cert.

Chapter conferences in vacation resort areas instead of more local. Catalina island? Hawaii ? Only people that travel to those locations are business owners seeking a vacation and tax write off.

Requests for 'excellence in arboriculture' nominees, but only dues paying members.

High cost of CEUs putting it out of reach of the average worker. The party line is to 'it doesn't cost if you get your employer to pay for it'.

No nationwide advertising campaign promoting proper tree work

Never have heard of a company or person getting their cert yanked for crap work. Never.
    And one of my wishes/ suggestions is why not attempt to create a pool for health care and liability insurance ?

Only 1 equipment trade show I can remember in Northern California.

Very little climbing skills workshops. The CAA did far more. I can't think how many local workshops we put on.

No equipment demo workshops, last one I remember was Chad Bray, but that was Treestuff sponsored.

The isa toutes itself as being 'research based'. Not practical on the ground assistance/ knowledge.

It used to be that with the CAA anyway, that if you wanted to be a member you would have to make a contribution to the industry. Hold a workshop, organize an equipment show, sponsor an event, etc etc. nowadays it is simply pay your dues.

I estimate at least half of all ISA arborists now do not actually work on trees, much less climb. What is the count now for wcisa cert arborists? Over 20 thousand ? That's a shit load of dues.

case Turnbull with plant amesty did far more to raise the standards of tree care overall than the ISA in my opinion. As did Don Blair. Just to name a couple names.

It is sad to see so many cert arborists who give conflicting info to homeowners.

Like I said, I believe their focus has shifted from research and education to creating new revenue streams. I'll continue to renew my certification if only as an incentive to attend seminars and workshops that I might otherwise ignore.
    "The mind is the limiting factor." ~Robin Brown, aka Brownie

Brett, thanks for the thought. This was a couple 4 years ago.

I'll just get around to retaking it the exam, I think. Won't hurt to call first.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

I used to have it,I let it lapse because what I got from it (zero) did not equate to the cost of membership.
    sixtey percent of the time,it works every time!

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

That sounds about right!

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    Have you voiced your concerns directly to the Western Chapter? Do you attend their meetings? Have you volunteered for a place of the Board of Directors so that you can be part of the solution?
    I'll answer this for him, yes, he has and does often

Frans, to me, the cert is as good as you want it to be. I got my tree worker cert down there with Sam, I blew away the other guys in the skills climb, there is no way those guys climbed for 18 months before testing so there is certainly some shenanigans. Soon as I had 3 years in I got certified, didn't feel any smarter. Now I have renewed my BCMA a few times and I still feel like I don't know squat. The more I learn, the more I realize how much there is to know. You don't know what you don't know, ya know? I have realized most guys get the cert just to get certain jobs and maintain it just for that. I tell my guys, the cert is a foundation to build on, not the end goal, but the start. Doctors are still practicing and they work on a single species, how the heck are we supposed to be experts on hundreds of species that have different pests, diseases, nutrient and climate requirements? I feel the one thing the CEU's do for me is to encourage me to continue learning. It is kinda exciting to know there is more to learn. When I moved here I was disappointed in the lack of opportunities in my area and the quality of the conferences compared to your area.... So I have maintained my Western chapter membership this entire time as well as PNW. I was just on the Western website last night, so many events coming up including Santa Rosa (I would venture to say there is 1 to 2 events there a year). I am considering Hawaii this spring, I love the thought of writing that trip off, that is one of the great things about owning a business! I do also feel ISA is a bit of a money grub and that TCIA is much more of a business benefit. I am a member there and ASCA as well with minimal complaints. Anyway, gotta go get the crew rolling.
    Love ya buddy :*
    Willie
    Southern Oregon Tree Care,LLC
    “Pruning is one of the best things an arborist can do for a tree but one of the worst things we can do to a tree.” Shigo

TreeHouser Sponsor

Willie, I forgot about that point, I become certified, with all the ongoing costs, then have to pay also for membership.
    I started to feel like the an ATM for these guys.

As for doctors, try qualifying to become a veterinarian ! Takes longer than a MD degree lol

Good point, if you're certified through them, and maintain it I'd agree, you should probably just be a member... at least through international..
    Willie
    Southern Oregon Tree Care,LLC
    “Pruning is one of the best things an arborist can do for a tree but one of the worst things we can do to a tree.” Shigo

Treehouser

Hi Frans,
    I am WE-7624A , TCIA Accredited Company, CTSP, etc,,
    I get what you are saying tho,
    We do feel left out on a lot of the conferences and seminars, but we maintain our status because it is better than losing it.
    Many of or clients require those credentials and our company pays for everything to maintain them. I do like and learn a lot from them and I think it makes me more professional.
    Just my thoughts,
    Jeff