Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ISA

TreeHouser Sponsor

Jefflovstrom, that's yet another 'hook' the ISA is very upfront about; i.e. Having the company pay for dues. Obviously your experience differs, however around here being certified only matters when bidding municipal or government work.
    Far more weight is given to being licensed. But your average homeowner is only concerned about being insured.

Last I checked to join TCIA all you had to do was pay a percentage of your yearly gross. Nothing about plant health care.

How would you all accept an ISA Pruning credential?

Something standardized.... seems most tree guys love gear and removals.

What about pruning and tree preservation?

Got my cert almost 25 years ago because it was paid for by my employer. Somehow the ISA lost my info and I never once received anything in the mail from them including the magazine. I went to a couple events but never bothered trying to collect CEU's and let it lapse after 3 years.

I still put 'Arborist' on my cards and truck signs because I am an arborist. Once in a blue moon somebody who has a clue might ask me if I am certified and I am up front with them about my certification experience. I have never once in the last 20 years claimed that I was certified but people still want my opinion on their trees because I'm an 'arborist'.

As far as government work requiring certification, I don't pursue that work for many reasons besides the certification requirement. I would need to hire an office staff to deal with all the headaches involved with taking on government work and I'm not willing to do that. Nope, I'm happy just being a local tree guy like all the others.
    -Brian

My gripe will be similiar as many others in the the CA is far too easy of an exam and they are then sold as experts. TRAQ was a joke, I scored 100% but felt physics and mycology was basically glossed over during lectures and the exams.

I'm municipal now so it is required but only a few customers in the past when I was working commercial were interested in my education and certs. Kinda a kick in the pants.

BCMA was a difficult exam but I've heard folks say that their state arborist/tree workers exams are quite difficult as well. I would say the bar should be raised.

I would second the call to add a pruning cert or qualification as well as a PHC one that is SORELY needed and should be a difficult exam as well.

Never had a problem with CEUs, I'm well over 100 for this cycle. PC, tablet, written and mail-in etc. I can also get them for teaching or giving talks but haven't bothered cuz I have so many. With the cert (and perhaps membership?) You can get a bunch a year from AN and JoAaUF as well as some from the local chapter. Bundles can be purchased from the ISA store but make sure that they don't include quizzes that you have taken in the past.
    JD Ohio BCMA

Good input. Thank you.

Yes. CA was meant as a standard basic arb cert that covered everything....

Many many people believe it to be the end all be all test... though many also understand it's a very basic level of standardization...

It's something to jump off of into other things more specific...

Specification or prescription pruning could be a new cert...

That would state you know how to prune...

That's all anyone does to a tree is prune... some people prune them to the ground.

Good job on your bcma, I see you put it on your signature line... You are proud of it and well should be. I'm shooting for it this year. I'm kind of excited to study for something. I feel like I've let my brain stagnate over the years. I've been a CA for 18 years now. I have no complaints, has not been a hinderance or an annoyance in anyway.

Old Schooler Sponsor gf beranek's Avatar

I took a couple years of Ag and Horticulture in school and learned some great things about pruning and training systems used in the industry for fruit, nut, grape and flower production. It's a genuine science that I was able to apply in my regular trimming as an arborist in the latter years.

Any treeman who learns what pruning is about will become a much better treeman by it.

Page 413 in the FGTW. Just a couple pages defining the distinctions between Trimming, Training and Pruning practices.

I agree, Deva, skill and knowledge in pruning systems should be more recognized.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07840.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	92941

TreeHouse Administrator MasterBlaster's Avatar

I recognize that from somewhere!

Old Schooler Sponsor gf beranek's Avatar

I'd loved to have written a more lengthy chapter about pruning, but the book would have been at least 100 more pages longer.

At least you wrote something.

Your book is awesome.
    It still holds a lot of water these days.

When's the next hang out Jerry?