Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rigging rings...pros/cons

TreeHouser Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by treesmith View Post
    How so? How can a tied sling be stronger than a whoopee if it's the same material?
    Just my opinion. I am not as smart as some of the folks here but I always figured that the Chinese handcuff of a whoopee only uses half of the line because of the sleeve.

Dead eye slings on the other hand, when tied with a hitch instead of a knot, use the entire thickness of the line.

Having said all that p, probably the reality is that our safety margins are more than adequate. I have busted a lot of ropes, but always on purpose or the rope was nicked already.

A spliced dead-eye sling is the same MBS as a whoopie. Seems like the knot versus choke's bend radius would be the factor in strength difference. Both rely on one single thickness, right?

Unlike a basket configuration with a round sling, where you have two legs supporting the load, doubling the MBS.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

The only downside of rings is them not being midline attachable. Which makes them difficult for me to use. Other than that they are great.

When would you add rings midline? Just if you missed it in rigging-planning, or forgot?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Quote Originally Posted by frans View Post
    Just my opinion. I am not as smart as some of the folks here but I always figured that the Chinese handcuff of a whoopee only uses half of the line because of the sleeve.

Dead eye slings on the other hand, when tied with a hitch instead of a knot, use the entire thickness of the line.

Having said all that p, probably the reality is that our safety margins are more than adequate. I have busted a lot of ropes, but always on purpose or the rope was nicked already.
    I understand what you mean, but it uses the ENTIRE line.....the line passes through itself in its entirety, just as if you girth hitched a sling to a tree, but instead of two parallel legs, one goes through the other. I'd say a whoopee sling would be stronger than a single leg dead eye sling of the same material if the tied sling was attached single-leg around the tree.
    "Honor is what no man can give you...and none can take away. Honor is a man's gift to himself."

-Rob Roy McGregor