Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rigging rings...pros/cons

California Hillbilly Sponsor CurSedVoyce's Avatar

I made a couple but I really need to make the retrievable set up, that would be bomb for what we do and be a time saver.
    My ground guys have mixed feeling on them. Mostly because the HOBBS spoils them for predictability. I have been doing more natural crotch, and that is helping familiarize the group with the amount of friction they experience.
    Pre-tensioning is imiportant to most our removals and the rings are not as great with that as is a block.
    Mid line attach ability is important to me, but I often don't need that what I negative rig down a spar. But again, pre-tensioning is important, so I prefer the blocks.
    Using different loopies, whoopies and dead eyes, I have found dead eyes to be quite efficient on the spar. Rigging from a branch union or a limb itself, the aforementioned are faster. I do A LOT of spar rigging. All our conifers. A lot of wash rinse repeat.
    Interesting how a limited gene pool and a limited labor force seem to be so closely related.

Quote Originally Posted by cory View Post
    Nice looking gear.

Hey Rich, hows the martial training been going?
    Cory, it was going ok after Christmas until last Tuesday. I slipped over in the snow and dislocated my shoulder.

I posted a couple of pictures in the ‘Bugger wrong time to get injured’ thread Bermy started a couple of years back. So that is on hold whilst I rehab the shoulder.

Haakon is still training hard.
    Rich.

Geezus that sucks. Not the first bad ass tree guy Ive heard of who was badly injured in a winter slip n fall.

Heal up fast!
    Mastery is an illusion, grace a momentary gift, apprenticeship endless.

General Purpose Sponsor Stumpshot's Avatar

Indeed! I almost blew out me knee on a slippery snow melt slope on Thursday. Slicker than snot on a doorknob!

TreeHouser Sponsor theTreeSpyder's Avatar

I used to have large shackle wet ground numbers off of that I used like this as lower but some friction , in between choice of block vs. natural support. Low friction + heatsink more accurately. Was klunky heavy compared to what see now. Had pin and key cabled to shackle so was usable in bight. I always carried about everything on belt ( she notes had stretch marks on back for 2 yes after stopped/ lightened up); but had this sent upstairs special. Even tho generally went into this foreign land armed fer bear.
    Pre-tensioning reduced in mix, but found climber has access to pretension against load BEFORE FRICTIONS.
    >> by sweating this key zone, or providing equal and opposite of climber effort to same
    >>longer drops between support and load found helpful to climb higher to not just pretension before target load, but to preStretch that segment of line also.

Note how climbs removing self from load helps to not weigh against pretension efforts, but then adding bodyweight to pretension efforts is in itself a type of 2:1 change in scenario, then climber effort doubled as well. Sweat/Swig to leverage across support column of line is different, and a process of 'taking purchase' ( old world sailor term) of rope from system to tighten line and/or move load as less rope in system now.
    "Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed" -Sir Francis Bacon
    We now return you to the safety of normal thinking peoples.
    ~ Please excuse the interruption; thanx -the mgmt. ~

Ever consider a video?
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

Wish I had a do over on that...
    So tried to sub one!
    Just as i tend to say numbers in ABoK are not knot numbers,
    but rather lesson numbers, of rope mechanix with a knot shown as example of the lesson.
    >>here was hoping drawings would present as more conceptual components to take other places than shown.
    >>The collective orchestration of principles merely example of a thought thru assembly.
    Certainly, learning to sweat/swig for high tension tweak w/o thought, instinctively in passing can help a lot in many things.
    Distilling out how to use any 1st class lever flexible rope or rigid bar to bear weight, effort and equal /opposite as inputs.
    Digging to find 2:1 collection in anything..
    Scheming when can to even capitalize on byproduct.
    Calcing best leverage points etc.
    Tricking force in before frictions etc.
    All good component skills to assemble a whole strategy.
    This is just example, but true fave!
    Climber can set tighter than ground sometimes, then if lock off high ( when safe) to limit amount of elastic line in mix, to provide tighter more immediate support. Or have ground crew only do actual lowering, anyway less dependant on less of them, to keep more time towards cleanup etc.

Quote Originally Posted by theTreeSpyder View Post
    Or have ground crew only do actual lowering, anyway less dependant on less of them, to keep more time towards cleanup etc.

I can definitely use the good climber-sweat'ed line technique to preload for self-lowering, too. Keeps more time going toward clean-up.
    If it looks like I asked a question, but put a period, it's probably a question.
    Don't know why I'm question-mark challenged online. 😀 New Year's Resolution, better proof reading.

We had to drive to neighboring town once , i had to pick up something, guys were unloading tar buckets from long horse trailer when I got there.
    Customer said couldn't work unless trailer moved from under tree and truck wasn't back yet, trailer often moved empty. We had some words, I owed guys 1+ hrs travel however came out.
    Put rope around bunch of buckets, pulled forward with truck, 2 pulls did it careful stacked 2 high left them on trailer end.
    They were lifting nose by moving bucket out of it 1x, changed to less distance, move bucket behind axle to lift nose 2x per move.
    Like not sitting on load and then instead hanging against load and
    Also like using effort and it's equal/opposite force against load,
    I try to connive 2x from every move when can anywhere, always watching the equal/opposite thingy.
    >>But sneaking climber leg lift in before frictions at higher leveraged point than usual pretighten by friction reduced efforts can be game changer alone!

More biners!!! Sponsor pantheraba's Avatar

Good tar bucket trick!
    Gary