Winter on Spikes

There's a thread on the buzz about vapor barrier layers for cold weather. Wearing an impermeable layer next to skin under insulating layer greatly increases warmth of extremities. Wear latex gloves under winter grippy gloves is WAY warmer than grippy gloves alone. They sggested putting bread bags on under socks for your feet.

Never tried the bags, but the gloves were a game changer.

That being said, I agree with B. Wood stove and wait is the best cold climbing technique.

I'm looking hard at chains. We rarely need them in WI but when the need arises shit just got real and you're stuck in some five foot deep drift.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As Ralph Stanley said when asked a few years back why he continued to tour extensively "... Well , I need the money". So as unpleasant as it may get around here we try to pick the good days to even try. I've removed six caulks from the Hoffman's (without the little wrench) and the spikes do fit , wider boot so it doesn't rest w boot shank right on the flat bottom of leg iron ... Almost though and seems that in two spots the contact at the heel may lock it in well enough , really not sure though (perhaps with true weight on them they will seat down a little more better). Since usually wrap low strap around the spike I should have enough to get around bigger boot skipping wrap.

As Ralph Stanley said when asked a few years back why he continued to tour extensively "... Well , I need the money". So as unpleasant as it may get around here we try to pick the good days to even try. I've removed six caulks from the Hoffman's (without the little wrench) and the spikes do fit , wider boot so it doesn't rest w boot shank right on the flat bottom of leg iron ... Almost though and seems that in two spots the contact at the heel may lock it in well enough , really not sure though (perhaps with true weight on them they will seat down a little more better). Since usually wrap low strap around the spike I should have enough to get around bigger boot skipping wrap.

I get that, about needing the money. Hope it goes well, the boots sound like they'll be workable.

To do this without spending Shekels is best scenario ... Just luck I have the Hoffman's , with good socks are by far the warmest Winter Boots I've ever owned (Makes Sorel's weak and a waste of money by comparison) so I hope it works. (Have a friend with a foot injury quite similar to Ger's , has had hell trying boots since. She bought them and they didn't work sold them to me. I might never have ordered such a good boot.)

Good to hear!
Pretty sure these can be rebuilt when they wear out or rubber starts cracking. The rebuild pretty much means scrap everything that isn't leather, so you will have the option to switch to lug sole instead of caulks if you wanted to.

Appreciation of all the input here as I tried them in some Hemlocks today , there is JUST enough contact to the heel so the lower strap has to be tight enough , one slipped off the heel today when I was done and on my way down so no big deal.

I as well. They may not be as durable as the leather buckle style but that's about the only pitfall.

After all the worn out and dog hair impregnated Velcro on various gear from my snowmaking and ski patrol years I just never went there for spikes. Still use old school straps

Yeah 50% wider is more comfy. Waiting to see how they last.
I can't believe these haven't been around for decades. Such a simple idea.

Back